Sheffield Hallam students raided by armed robbers on South Africa trip

They’re travelling home urgently

Sheffield Hallam students and staff have been targeted by armed thieves while on a placement abroad.

The group of eight students and one lecturer were robbed while on a minibus on Monday in Port Elizabeth, South Africa.

The raiders are reported to have made off with jewellery, a phone and a bag.

The university said the group are urgently travelling back to the UK, with two already home and another three flying back today.

They landed in Cape Town, the country’s capital, for a four-week teaching placement on February 2.

A Foreign Office spokesman said: “Our staff are supporting a group of British students who were robbed in Port Elizabeth, South Africa, and have arranged emergency travel documents so they can fly home safely.”

A Sheffield Hallam University spokesman said: “A group of eight students and a member of staff were the victims of a robbery during a placement trip to South Africa.

“Thankfully, all students and staff are unharmed but are understandably very shaken by the incident which has been reported to local police.

“The placement trip has now been cancelled and the university is taking steps to bring them all back to the UK as soon as possible.

“University colleagues remain in regular contact with the students and staff in South Africa and with parents or guardians in the UK.

“We are providing a range of support in conjunction with our overseas emergency assistance partners.”

Featured image: Cape Town (Unsplash)