Image may contain: Woman, Girl, Female, Blonde, Linen, Home Decor, Person, People, Human

Two people appear in court charged with MDMA death of Joana Burns

Joana Burns died after taking MDMA whilst celebrating finishing uni last year

Two people have today appeared in court charged with supplying MDMA to Hallam student Joana Burns.

Joana died in June 2017 after taking MDMA at Sheffield Students' Union on a night out to celebrate the completion of her maths degree at Sheffield Hallam University.

Katherine Lavin, aged 21, is accused of supplying various people, including Joana Burns, with MDMA while Benjamin Williams, aged 25 is accused of supplying Katherine with MDMA.

They appeared at Sheffield Magistrate's Court earlier today but were bailed until 18th September, when they will appear at Crown Court.

The SU building, where Joana was celebrating with her friends

Joana and her friends reportedly paid £7 for the MDMA during their night at The Tuesday Club on June 6th 2017.

It was reported that at around 5.50 am Joana and another Sheffield Hallam student both fell ill and collapsed in the Glossop Road area. The other student is also thought to have taken MDMA at the same venue.

They were both rushed to hospital in Sheffield city centre, but Joana sadly died during the night.

Her boyfriend, Lewis Birch, said: “I will always love you and you will be in my heart forever. I will never forget you and would give absolutely everything to have you back in my life.

“If anyone is ever thinking of taking any sort of drug – don’t full stop. It has torn my life apart. I am absolutely crushed right now.”