Man jailed for a year for stealing bikes from Nottingham University campuses

Some of the bikes were valued to be worth thousands of pounds

A man has been jailed for stealing thousands of pounds worth of bkes from Nottingham universities’ campuses over a period of four months.

In the case of these thefts the police identified Kyle Meli, who is 28, as the perpetrator. Meli stole five bikes from various locations across Nottingham including schools, university campuses, and hospitals over four months and has since been sentenced to a year in prison, Nottinghamshire Live reports.

Meli was not only found guilty for the theft of these bikes but also for the theft of a car from September last year. The bikes were stolen by cutting through the locks placed by owners whilst being left in bike sheds. Some of the bikes stolen were valued to be worth thousands of pounds.

Meli was captured by police after diligent analysis of hours of CCTV which allowed Nottinghamshire Police to identify Meli as the offender. Police Constable Matthew Holden said: “The case shows once again the importance of good quality CCTV cameras as the footage was invaluable in identifying Meli as the offender.”

Feature Image via Nottinghamshire Police. 

University of Nottingham falls out of top 100 in 2024 world university ranking

Nottingham Trent student fell to her death after sliding down bannisters at pre-drinks

Judge rules that Nottingham killer’s sentence was not ‘unduly lenient’