University of Nottingham is looking for student volunteers for campus homeless shelter

The shelter re-opened on Monday the 17th of October

Emmanuel House is seeking student volunteers to help at the Winter Shelter on University of Nottingham’s campus. Located on University Park Campus, the Winter Shelter reopened on the 17th October and will remain open until April 2023.

The shelter was a great success last year, involving the help of many students, and there is the opportunity to volunteer and help those sleeping rough again this year.

There are several shifts available for different roles, including:

• Breakfast Service (7-9am weekdays, 8-10am weekends)
  • Afternoon cooking (4-6pm every day)
  • Dinner serving (6-8pm every day)
  • Activity organising (timing can be flexible)
  • Food collection (Sunday morning only) – car required

Heres a little bit more about each role and what you can do to help:

Breakfast Service

This role requires you to help with the shelter’s breakfast service between 7-9am on weekdays and 8-10am on weekends.

Afternoon Cooking

This involves preparing, cooking and washing up after making a meal for up to 27 guests at the shelter everyday between 4-6pm.

Dinner Serving

This role will involve you to assist in the shelter’s dinner service, running between 6 and 8pm everyday.

Activity organising

The main responsibility of this role is to run an activity of your choice with the Winter shelter guests, this could include baking, playing games or running a book club. The time of these activities can be flexible to suit you.

Food collection

This role requires you to own a car to drive and collect food donations from Lidl Nottingham Bridge (Castle Marina) on a Sunday morning. Business insurance will be provided and reasonable travel costs will be reimbursed.

For most of these roles you can choose between a variety of shift times and do not have to be available everyday at the set times. To apply, email a completed application form to [email protected]You can find both the application form to volunteer at the Winter Shelter and reference form here.

University of Nottingham reopening its homeless shelter this winter

• A homeless shelter is set to open in an unused University of Nottingham building

Crisis employee claims she was removed from work chat after criticising serial-killer event