All the ways Nottingham Trent University is celebrating Black History Month

The theme for 2022’s Black History Month is ‘Time for Change: Action not Words’

Nottingham Trent University is celebrating this year’s Black History Month in a variety of ways, stating on their website that: “We recognise that the Black history experience is not limited to one month each year, and have made a commitment to work year-round to host a diverse programme of events and resources to help create a more equal future for everyone.”

The university is hosting talks, workshops and online events, some that are tailored to staff, and others to students, ensuring that everyone has an opportunity to celebrate black excellence.

The UK celebrates Black History Month every October, as a celebration and acknowledgment of achievements within the black community, including their socio-economic, political and cultural contributions to society.

Monday 10th October – Black History Month Podcast 

In collaboration with World Mental Health Day, a psychology researcher, Dr Dug Jidong from Nottingham Trent University is leading a podcast discussing prejudices experienced by African and Caribbean mothers in receiving mental health support. This podcast will share Dung’s research that he is conducting to support these new mothers.

Wednesday 12th October, 2.30pm-4pm – Zine Making Workshop

NTU will be hosting an online Zine making workshop, open to staff and students. Zines are digital versions of magazines, which have been prominent in the 21st century as a vessel for marginalised groups to express themselves. Zines were widely used throughout the Black Lives Matter movement and often serve a political agenda.

Tuesday 18th October, 7pm – Sir Willard White in opera

Infamous bass-baritone opera star, Sir Willard White will be performing in University Hall. White has been commended for his musical work, with the Guardian stating: “Pity anyone who appears on the same platform as baritone Willard White. He has so much presence he can eclipse an entire  symphony orchestra and chorus with a mere twitch of an eyebrow.”

Thursday 20th October, 6pm-8pm – NTU Sport Black History Month 

This event will take place on NTU’s Clifton Campus, and hosts notable guest speakers. This includes author of 100 Great Black Britons, Angelina Obsorne. This event focuses on the achievements of black Britons in the sporting world.

Friday 21st October, 4.30pm-10pm – Nine Night

This event takes place at Nottingham Playhouse, in Nottingham City Centre. It is Natasha Gordon’s debut play, which celebrates the exploration of culture and community. Included in the £1 ticket is free food from the Jerk Station, which serves traditional Caribbean food. This event is open to staff and students.

Wednesday 26th October 2022, 12.30pm – 1.30pm – Reading flash mob

The Chaucer building reception will host a “reading flash mob”, in which people can read work written by black authors together. You can either bring your own book, or borrow a copy provided.

Wednesday 26th October 2022, 2.30pm-3.30pm – Book, Brew and Biscuit

NTU is hosting an informal book club event to discuss the title “A New Formation – How Black Footballers Shaped the Modern Game”. The book is made up of a collection of short stories, that explore the role played by black British footballers in shaping the culture of the game, and its intersection within wider black British culture. This event is taking place in Pavillion, on Clifton Campus’s  and is open to all, including the general public. Refreshments and snacks will be provided.

Saturday 29th October, 9am-5pm – 2nd International African and Caribbean Mental Health Conference

This conference will discuss themes of mental health and their affect on black British people. The conference will take place in the Newton Building.

• 11 ways you can be more sustainable as a Notts student without breaking the bank

Do you want to be the voice of Notts students? Come write for The Tab Notts

• All the ways that University of Nottingham are celebrating Black History Month