All over-18 Nottingham students are now eligible for a Covid booster jab

The booster jab can reduce the risk of infection by 93 per cent

The government announced yesterday that all adults over the age of 18 will now be invited for a Covid booster jab in an effort to slow the spread of the new Omicron Covid variant.

The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation lowered the age of those eligible for the booster jab from age 40 to anyone over 18. The minimum gap between the second Covid vaccine dose and the booster jab was also lowered from six to three months.

The booster jab can reduce the risk of infection by 93 per cent which is important as evidence suggests that the new Omicron variant has a higher re-infection rate than other strains of the virus.

The Tab Notts reported that one of the first UK cases of the new Omicron variant was found in Nottingham, with targeted testing being carried out in order to combat the spread.

This news comes as Boris Johnson announced to the nation the reintroduction of mandatory face masks in shops and on public transport.

To book your booster jab appointment either wait to be contacted or book via the NHS website, however bookings for those aged 18-39 are not yet available.

• One of first UK cases of new Omicron Covid variant found in Nottingham

University of Nottingham has made it mandatory for masks to be worn in all indoor spaces

• UoN are giving out freebies to students who take a covid test

Featured image via Unsplash