Lenton’s original Banksy artwork has been unveiled at a museum in Suffolk

The exhibition contains eight original Banksy pieces

The Bansky painting that first appeared on Rothesay Avenue in Lenton has been unveiled at an exhibition in Suffolk.

The iconic Banksy ‘hula-hoop girl’ was sold in February of this year to the Brandler Galleries in Brentwood, Essex but has since been moved to Moyse’s Hall Museum in Suffolk, more than 100 miles away from its original location.

The piece first appeared overnight in October 2020, on the corner of Rothesay Avenue and Ilkeston Road in Radford. Two days after its instalment, Banksy claimed the artwork as his own via a post to his Instagram account.

The mural appeared on a wall belonging to Avi Hair and Beauty Salon who then sold the painting, brick wall included, for a reported six figure sum, disappointing many of the local residents.

The salon were unable to provide suitable protection for the artwork and it had twice faced defamation and damage before it was sold, leading to a transparent cover being placed over it to protect it from further vandalism.

The original Banksy artwork will appear in the exhibition entitled ‘Moments: An Exhibition of Modern Art’ in Moyse’s Hall Museum until September 30th 2021. The exhibition has already been off to a great start with its opening weekend selling out and boasting eight original Banksy pieces.

If you were one of the few unlucky ones who didn’t manage to get a look at the artwork whilst it was still in Nottingham, then there are still tickets available for the exhibition on the museum’s website.

• Lenton’s Banksy mural has been sold to a private gallery in Essex

• Lenton’s beloved Banksy piece has been removed

• Hundreds queue on Ilkeston Road to see new Banksy