Two Notts SU Officers resign in a week

Both cited personal reasons for their resignations

Sam Hawkins, UoNSU Liberation Officer, and Sofia Thomas, UoNSU Community Officer, have separately announced that they are stepping down from their roles before their terms are complete.

Both say they are leaving early due to personal reasons and it does not appear that the two events are related.

Thomas’s role was due to finish in July, while Hawkins had been re-elected for next year—though his resignation now means a by-election will need to take place.

Thomas was the first to announce her departure from her role on May 7.

In a statement released across her UoNSU social media pages, Thomas said that she has “made the difficult decision to end my term early as Community Officer early” and that she recognises “some people may be disappointed by this news.” She also noted how it has been an “extremely challenging academic year” for everyone.

Her departure will mean there will be no Community Officer in the Students’ Union between May 19 to July 5.

Hawkins’ announcement followed suit six days later. In his announcement, he said that he is “very sorry” to be leaving.

The former-LGBT+ Officer turned Liberation Officer had been re-elected to the position for next year. But his announcement means another election to fill his role will now need to take place.

In response to his resignation, UoNSU posted: “We want to say a huge thank you for all of the work he’s done over the two years and wish him all the very best for the future.”

Similarly with Thomas, they said: “We want to take this opportunity to say a huge thank you to her for all of the amazing things she’s done over the past year – a year that’s been unlike no other! And we wish her all the very best for the future.”