Image may contain: Parade, Text, Flyer, Paper, Brochure, Word, Crowd, Poster, Advertisement, Person, Human

Lenton’s MP backs Lisa Nandy for Labour leadership

Greenwood nominates Nandy, helping her reach the threshold to progress to the next stage

Labour is kicking off its leadership contest, and the candidates seeking to become Labour's next leader need to seal 22 nominations from their fellow Labour MPs (Members of Parliament) and MEPs (Members of European Parliament) in order to progress to the next round.

Lilian Greenwood, MP for Nottingham South (which encompasses both UoN campuses, Dunkirk and Lenton), nominated Lisa Nandy, MP for Wigan, for Labour leadership.

Greenwood has not officially endorsed a candidate for leadership, and is yet to comment on her decision to nominate Nandy.

Nandy, to date, has received 24 nominations from fellow Labour MPs and MEPs, meaning she has progressed to the second round.

In her campaign thus far, Nandy has expressed concern about regaining the trust from voters in Labour heartlands which voted for Brexit. She says, "I don't think we can keep going as we have been."

Her politics are often described as 'soft left'; she opposed Jeremy Corbyn's leadership in 2016, supporting Owen Smith (a fellow member of the 'soft left') instead.

Nandy was widely criticised for supporting Boris Johnson's deal in October, breaking Labour's three-line whip. She defended her position, arguing that the nation needed to come together and compromise, instead of staying so divided and entrenched.

Upon her election in 2010, Nandy was the first female MP for Wigan and one of the first Asian female MPs. She was also the Shadow Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change from September 2015 – June 2016.

Other candidates who have surpassed the 22 nomination thresholds include Jess Philips, Keir Starmer, and Rebecca Long Bailey. Emily Thornberry and Clive Lewis are both still struggling to secure enough nominations.

Labour MPs and MEPs have until January 13th to nominate a candidate in the first round. The second round requires successful candidates to gain support from 5% of local Labour parties or from three affiliates, of which two must be trade unions. If they meet these requirements, they will be on the ballot paper for all Labour members to vote on.