Image may contain: Purple, Light, Nature, Ornament, Outdoors, Lighting, Person, Human, Tree, Plant

Jingle your bells down to Old Market Square for the Christmas lights switch on

Santa’s coming to town!

The Nottingham Christmas lights will be switched on tonight, Friday November 15th, in Old Market Square.

Nottingham City Council have said the Notts Christmas markets will be ‘one of the best in the UK’ this year, so it’ll be worth sacking off that essay you’re supposed to be doing and going to get a mulled wine while you watch the Christmas lights switch on.

There will be performances from ice-dance skaters from the National Ice Centre and then the Sheriff and Lord Mayor of Nottingham will switch on the Christmas tree lights just after sunset, marking the opening of the festivities in Old Market Square.

Image may contain: Night Life, Plant, Tree, Lighting, Clothing, Apparel, Person, Human

Tens of thousands of fairy lights will light up the square and the surrounding streets and, as Winter Wonderland opens, you can get yourself a bratwurst and have a skate under the twinkly lights on the ice-skating rink. Alternatively, head up to the warmth of Sur la Piste for après and a bite to eat.

There will be 70 stalls in total around the city centre with Christmas gifts and plenty of food and drink so you can get started on your Christmas pressie shopping early!