Image may contain: Building, Outdoors, Nature, Lighting, Shop, Bazaar, Market, Human, Person

The Notts Christmas lights are getting switched on tonight and it’s gonna be lit

Watch an elf switch them on!

The countdown to Christmas has already begun as cities all over the country switch-on their festive lights and Nottingham is no exception.

Image may contain: Carousel, Lamp, Chandelier, Theme Park, Amusement Park

The Christmas lights will be switched-on this Thursday, November 15th, in Old Market Square. The lights will be turned on at 7:45pm, illuminating the tree in the square which will be adorned with 4,000 red and white fairy lights. The evening is set to begin at 6:30 with free live entertainment before the switch-on, including UoN's very own a cappella group RadioOctave who are performing around 7pm in Old Market Square.

Image may contain: Long Sleeve, Sleeve, Pants, Shoe, Footwear, Clothing, Apparel, Transportation, Bicycle, Bike, Vehicle, Snowman, Winter, Snow, Outdoors, Person, Human, Nature

This year the lights will be turned on by the Lord Mayor and Sheriff of Nottingham, Councillors Liaqat Ali and Catharine Arnold with help from Buddy the Elf (Tam Ryan) who will be starring in Elf: A Christmas Spectacular from Friday to Sunday, December 28-30 at the Motorpoint Arena.

Image may contain: Path, Lighting, Theme Park, Amusement Park, Person, Human

Nottingham's Winter Wonderland will also be open to the public from 11am the same day. There will be new additions to the attraction this year, including a brand-new 30ft toboggan slide in King Street and Bar Altitude; the all-glass chalet, perched up high, offering panoramic views of the Christmas crowds below. This is alongside the traditional Christmas markets, bars and the real, 750m² ice rink.

Image may contain: Dessert, Chocolate, Fudge, Person, Human, Food, Confectionery, Sweets

YUM

Councillor Dave Trimble, Portfolio Holder for Leisure and Localities at Nottingham City Council said: "Christmas is always an exciting time of year in Nottingham, but this year’s celebrations are set to really put us on the map.

"With new additions to Winter Wonderland and an impressive Christmas lights display, the city centre is sure to be a hub of festivity throughout the season, and we’re delighted to be able to bring this to the people of Nottingham and beyond."