Image may contain: Water, Outdoors, Canal, Urban, Town, High Rise, City, Building, Apartment Building

Teenagers who robbed two people outside Notts uni library allowed to walk free

This is despite the judge saying that had an adult committed the offences

A youth gang who robbed two people outside a Nottingham uni library and claimed to have a range of dangerous weapons have been given a second chance by a judge.

The gang of four punched, kicked and threatened their victims as well as robbed them of their mobile phones.

Two 19-year-old victims were approached by the gang outside a Notts uni library at around 8:30pm on January 10th, and told by one mask-wearing member that he had a "strap", or gun.

University security staff arrived, but only after the two victims had their mobile phones stolen.

They also carried out a second attack four days later at the Intu Victoria Centre.

With one member wearing a ski mask, the gang approached two men smoking weed, said "give us your stuff or we'll shank you", then took their phones and kicked them in the face.

Three 17-year-olds were imposed with curfews and probation orders, who must also attend courses on the perils of carrying dangerous weapons and stop smoking cannabis. Nottingham Youth Court heard that the fourth suspect had not yet been charged.

However, District Judge Leo Pyle said that one of the offences would have led to lifetime imprisonment for an adult. He also added that, should they re-offend, they would spend a minimum of 20 months in custody.

Before retiring to consider his sentence, Judge Pyle asked three members of the Youth Offending Team whether they thought it would be safe for the offenders to remain in the community.

He asked: "Are you prepared to put your necks on the line in relation to these young men, despite the extreme gravity of the offences they committed?" to which the officers replied "Yes, sir."

The offenders admitted to robbery and must now pay £500 each in compensation, report to police every Saturday and Sunday in addition to obeying curfews for 12 weeks.