Image may contain: Vehicle, Transportation, Car, Automobile

20-year-old charged with assault after New Year’s Eve fight outside Ink

He is set to appear in court later this month

Police have investigated and charged a man in connection with assault during a violent brawl outside Nottingham's Ink nightclub at 2am on New Year's Eve.

The incident has come to light after a video of the fight outside the nightclub was posted on Twitter and Facebook, where it garnered attention by thousands of users in Nottingham and across the UK.

The fight, involving several clubgoers and an aggressive bouncer, resulted in the arrest of three men, including Makhel Leigertwood-Gibson, a 20 year old from London, and the dismissal of the bouncer.

Leigertwood-Gibson was charged with two counts of violent assault by beating in connection with the incident. He is due to appear in the Nottingham Magistrates Court on January 26, 2018.

This is the second recent violent incident involving a bouncer in the city after a bouncer was filmed throwing a student to the ground outside Rock City, leaving him lying unconscious without medical attention.

A spokesman for Ink nightclub told The Nottingham Post: "The police are aware of the incident and are investigating it further.

"We have spoken to the firm which supplies our security, informing them that the doorman involved in the incident should no longer work at the venue.

"We are co-operating with the relevant authorities to ensure the facts are established in a thorough manner."

It is unclear how the fight had begun or who was implicated.

A Nottinghamshire Police spokesperson said: "We were made aware of reports circulating online of an incident in Nottingham city centre, which was reported in some media outlets to have taken place on Thursday, January 4.

“However, following further investigation, officers have established that the footage relates to an incident which officers previously responded to in the early hours of Monday, January 1, 2018.

“In respect of this incident, officers arrested three men at the scene soon after the incident was reported to officers just after 2am on Monday, January 1, 2018."