Man dies after city centre brawl

It happened around 4am

Five men have been arrested after a man died in a city centre fight.

Officers were called to the road linking Lace Market to Old Market Square at around 4am this morning.

Cordons were put in place, barring shoppers from going up Pelham Street, home of student haunts Bodega and Cow.

At least a dozen police were on the scene as well as forensic officers

The identity of the victim or the nature of his injuries is not yet known.

Robert Powner, 48, from Stoke, who was visiting to celebrate the birthday of his daughter Samantha, a history third year,spoke to The Nottingham Post.

He said: “We were out celebrating in the city on Saturday night; we were walking through the centre at about 12.30am and everything seemed to be fine.

“But seeing what’s happened; it does make you concerned. It’s usually all right in Nottingham – that’s why when my daughter was choosing universities were tried to steer her towards here.

“I will now be telling my daughter to keep her eyes open; you can’t be too complacent. It can be as bad as anywhere else.”

Third year medic Ross told The Tab:”Nottingham has a bad rap for violent crime, but it’s not usually as in your face as this.

“You wouldn’t expect this in the city centre.”

Nottinghamshire Police said said: “A man has died after a fight in the city centre.

“It happened just before 4am on Sunday in Thurland Street.”

Anyone with information is asked to call the police on 101.