Nottingham Student Drama Festival

The NNT become the Daniel Day-Lewis of the National Student Drama Festival (in Scarborough)

The Nottingham New Theatre is certainly no stranger to the National Student Drama Festival (NSDF), swooping big in 2008 and 2011. Last years International Student Drama Festival however yielded no selections.

2013 however is a different story. Out of this years 11 selections nationally, 3 were from the Nottingham New Theatre. Fans of maths will appreciate that is a staggering 27.27%.

Philip Ridley’s Mercury Fur, Jez Butterworth’s Jerusalem and Shelagh Stephenson’s Memory of Water were this years selections, and all reviewed by The Tab earlier in the year.

The unlikely destination for this years NSDF was the bracing winds and broken dreams of former holiday hotspot, Scarborough. For the NNT however, Scarborough is full of nothing but happy memories.   

In 2008, the NNT swooped an impressive 6 awards. In 2011, a further 4 awards. However smashing all expectations, this year they’ve brought back a staggering SEVEN.

Taking home the Spotlight Acting Award was the superb Rosanna Stoker for her portrayal of Mary in Memory of Water.

WINNER: Rosanna Stoker

The Spotlight Supporting Actor award went to the outstanding Laura Gallop, playing originally male character Naz in Mercury Fur.

WINNER: Laura Gallop

The Judges Award for Supporting Actor went to the incredibly impressive Jake Leonard, portraying Morris Dancing pub landlord Wesley in Jerusalem.

WINNER: Jake Leonard

Winning the Buzz Goodbody Student Director Award was Jerusalem’s Peter Bradley.

Further awards for Jerusalem includes The Judges Award for Production Design (Jessica Courtney) and the whole ensemble for the Judges Award for Best Ensemble.

A further special commendation (from Kathleen Heron, deputy editor of the Sunday Times, no less) went to stage manager Eloise Hyde for stepping into Memory of Water to play Teresa at short notice due to illness.

In a statement, the Nottingham New Theatre said, ‘We are hugely proud of everyone involved in the selected productions and all of those who helped along the way.

Congratulations to all involved and a huge thank you to all the support from the judges, selectors and technical team of the festival’ they continued.

The Tab would like to echo these congratulations to the whole company. It has been a pleasure reviewing NNT shows, and we look forwards to more in the near future!

The NNT Spring Season continues with Willy Russell’s Educating Rita on the 24th-27th April.