UEA has been named one of the worst UK unis for free speech

Are we more North Korea than Norfolk?

| UPDATED free speech uea student union Union of UEA

The Union of UEA Students champions itself on inclusivity, equality and a progressive liberal ethos, so why is our Union ranked red for free speech?

In a recent Spiked Online survey, the Union was ranked red out of their traffic light system used to gage quality of free speech.

Red? Surely we can’t be red? This is the university that champions the rights of the underdog – we have gender neutral toilets, after all.

The news of the rating seemed to slip out slowly, igniting a particularly lively debate on Yik Yak. The response from users ranged from branding the Union “authoritarian nut jobs” to others wondering if this would effect the price of snakebite in the SU Bar.

Spiked Online attributes the rating to several actions taken by the Union. Ranging from the infamous “sombrerogate”, the banning of UKIP from University grounds and the attempt to lobby the University for an academic boycott of Israel.

When contacted about the rating, the Union declined to comment.

Many students were oblivious to the rating and when told, were generally shocked and disappointed.

Daisy, a first year History student said “It’s ironic really, since the Union does so much to be liberal, I’m surprised they haven’t come out and apologised”.

Sarah, who currently studies Drama, was also equally concerned about the rating.

She said, “Without free speech, there can be no debate, you need both sides of the argument”.

Whether the Union deserves the “red” rating, is up for debate, but it certainly offers food for thought.