Union cancels UKIP speech following petition

It took less than 24 hours

The Union has cancelled a speech by two UKIP representatives following an online petition.

The speech, which was due to take place tonight, was organised for members of the PSI Society but opened up to students in the School of Politics, Philosophy, Language and Communication Studies.

A petition was started following an email sent out yesterday evening. It gained over 1,100 signatures in less than 24 hours.

A statement from the Union read: “The Union has now reviewed the arrangements in relation to tonight’s PSI society event with speakers from UKIP attending.

“A procedure governing the approval and handling of events with external speakers was approved by the Trustee Board last year.

“In this case the Union has not followed the procedure as it should have, and as such we are not in a position to approve the event at this moment in time.

“We will review internal compliance with our procedures to ensure that all staff, officers and clubs/socs are fully aware of these procedures in the future.

“We are meeting with the PSI society to discuss the possible rearrangement of this event.”

But not everyone agrees with the Union’s decision.

Haylie Pallister, who organised the event, said: “I am outraged. It is absolutely ridiculous that a mainstream party with a candidate in this ward come May are not allowed to express their opinions.

“This event was created for my members who have known since September and been completely okay with it. It was on all our posters at Socmart and talked about frequently.

“People’s ideas of UKIP all stem from the media. How can you form an opinion without listening to a representative and challenging him face-to-face?”

The event was originally organised for PSI Society members

Petition-starter Timea Süli said: “Yesterday evening, I decided to create a podium for people who are usually not given the opportunity to speak out loud about their experiences and difficulties.

“Today demonstrated how many people want a right to political speech. Today we demonstrated that minority groups will no longer be treated as white noise.

“We fully support and insist that the PSI society reschedule the event, but to a site away from campus.

“We want to reform our campus into a place that doesn’t always let the biggest groups speak the loudest. People have shown that student safety on campus is paramount and we must respect the wishes of the people who feel this way.

“We are grateful that the Union and PSI Society have taken into consideration the feelings of the student body, and decided to reschedule the event. We wish them all the best.”

UKIP Norwich South representatives said: “The event tonight has been cancelled due to pressure from the Students’ Union.

“This as far as we can see is yet another bad day for the UEA and freedom of speech.”