The Village is best

Fact

I tend not to get really mad about a lot of things in this world. I wasn’t bothered when Ben Affleck became Batman and I’m largely ambivalent about Dapper Laughs and Blurred Lines.

But if you hate on the University Village while I’m around, you’re in for an earful.

In all honesty, this article is largely in response to a previous one, about why the Ziggurats are the best.

They’re not.

Yes, you have the cool views of the lake and kudos of living in a listed building while being a student, but seriously? The Village is far better.

I had a great time when I lived in the University Village for my first year. Many people seem to think that Village residents are weirdos who live miles away from campus.

In reality, it’s a five minute walk away! A quick stroll down University Drive and you’re within five minutes of your lecture, seminar, library or LCR.

Once you hit second year, most people live a lot further away from campus than the Village, and no one thinks they’re odd. Get some perspective.

It’s really not that far

There’s also a great sense of community in the Village. There’s a sense of camaraderie that comes from being labelled as outsiders. It draws us together.

I lost count of the amount of times I was chatting with another Village resident on the (short) walk to campus about how the Village really isn’t that bad and that people just don’t understand how good it really is.

Another great reason for living in the Village – it’s cheap. And you get a good amount for what you pay for.

A reasonably-sized room, an en suite shower and a shared kitchen, all for about £20 a week less than your friends who have en suites on campus. More money for us to spend in the LCR.

Also, the Village flats are smaller than most on campus. I shared my kitchen with seven other freshers, and we all got along well.

On campus, you end up sharing with about 11 other people. That’s too many people for everyone to get along: there will always be someone you don’t like.

The location of the Village is sometimes even an asset: you’re within walking distance of an Aldi, so less money spent on munch. You’re also far enough away from the campus shop to avoid heading there for a loaf of bread for the price of your first-born child.

We can actually afford to get drunk

So there you have it – just a few reasons why the Village is not the place where dreams go to die, but actually the best accommodation at UEA.