Student saves life on way to UEA interview, wins offer

Emma Tillett stops to help bus accident victim, then heads to her interview

A brave UEA applicant saved a man’s life after he was hit by a bus – and still managed to attend her university interview.

Emma Tillett was en route to her UEA interview when her bus hit a man stepping off the pavement.

Keeping her cool, the 40 year-old prospective student took charge and ran to the man’s aid.

Emma Tillett still managed to attend her interview

She said: “I got off the bus and kept him still and told him to lay back because he was a bit confused.I shouted at a couple of people nearby to help direct the traffic. By the time the paramedics came along I had his name, age, underlying illnesses so I gave them the information and they packaged him. In amongst this I was asking for them to help the driver off the bus because she was a bit shocked.”

Having stabilised the stranger, Emma rode with him in the ambulance to Norwich and Norfolk University Hospital, less than two miles from the university she was meant to be interviewing.

The man’s injuries included a broken shoulder, broken ribs and multiple cuts and bruises.

Running late and interview outfit  bloodied, Emma was escorted by a police officer to UEA.

She said: “The lovely policeman and security chap from the hospital took me down to the interview to explain what happened. I was wet and had the poor guy’s blood on my hands. All my smart interview clothes were wet and muddy.”

But apparently arriving fresh from action, however bloodstained, impressed academics and Emma won a conditional offer for UEA’s Adult Nursing course.