BUCs is back

And UEARFC smashed it (again)

After reaching the 100 mark in their Saturday fixture against Swaffham, UEARFC came close again thanks to excellent play on the pitch and the consistency of the boot of Marco Merlina, kicking of their new BUCs campaign with a win. Although that may be too ‘weak’ a word.

In conditions that were not nice to look at, let alone be thrown around in -freezing cold with bitter winds -UEA Men’s Rugby team did just that, along with a lot of try scoring, coming out 92-6 winners against their Northampton Uni counterparts. So a close contest then…

The squad proceeded to thrash Northampton from the off

Myles McAlone was named Man of the Match after running the game from the middle of the pitch. He also got himself on the score sheet too, going over for UEA’s 2nd try of the game after fantastic work in the centre, led to him racing away. Outside centre Myles scored four tries in all.

Points were scored and shared all over the pitch, others going over including the ever-impressive Charlie Nicholson (who also bagged himself seven against Swaffham, just getting the five in this fixture-poor effort), Rich Heap with two, Nick Hartshorn and Eliot Piper (two). Kicker Merlina was consistent with his conversions throughout (having many to deal with), scoring 18 points. Totalling off the scoring was captain Cameron McNiel, getting four points with the boot.

Our boys dominated Northampton on the pitch

Northampton Uni were never in the game, because they weren’t allowed to be, UEA ruling the roost from the offset, even after nominee for ‘dick of the day’ Josh Harvey was sin-binned for ‘interference’, something the ref kept a close eye on with both teams-Northampton Uni later having a player on the side-line for the same offence. My apologies, I never did find out who was made ‘dick of the day’.

For a team who are still getting to know each other on and off the pitch UEA’s first couple performances have been thrilling, always pulling a good crowd to the ‘tiers’ of Colney. Things can only get better, and the team are going from strength to strength. So next week we want 200, k?

For the girls-

Thigh watch-7/10. A fantastic array, but too cold to enjoy.