Thatcher’s funeral: Are students bothered?

UEA political societies have their say as the world bids farewell to the Iron Lady.

Ding Dong thatcher thatcher funeral uea conservatives UEA Labour

When I got back to my house after the Easter break, the first thing I saw was an empty bottle of champagne and beer cans scattered around the living room. I asked my housemate if he had people over or something for a party. His reply? “No mate, I cracked open the champagne on Monday.” He heard Margaret Thatcher had died so he decided to celebrate. On his own.

Thatcher’s death had an incredible effect on many people. Some have been struck by a sombre and reflective mourning. Others, like my housemate, are somewhat less respectful of the passing of our first female Prime Minister.

Many attended street parties in Glasgow and London in celebration of her death and the song ‘Ding Dong (The Witch is Dead)’ from ‘The Wizard Of Oz’ made it to number two in the UK Singles Charts.

Tasteless or justified?

But what about students? The Tab spoke to Thomas Stringer, Chairman of the UEA Conservatives. We asked him what he thought about people celebrating Thatcher’s death:

“Such people are vulgar and disgusting. It’s interesting to note that whilst the left attacks the right for being ‘nasty’ it is only they who would celebrate someone’s death simply because they dislike their politics.”

In the spirit of fairness, we asked Chair Elect of UEA Labour, Connor Rand what he thought:

“We believe that celebrating anybody’s death is wrong and distasteful. Whilst understanding that she destroyed lives and devastated communities we hope all students show tact and respect at this difficult time for her supporters and family.

“We strongly feel that her death should not be an excuse to bury any debate about her though. Section 28, South Africa and apartheid, Pinochet, no such thing as society, runaway advancement of profit before people, privitisation, neoliberalism, spiraling inequality, knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing. That was Thatcher’s Britain.

“We face the many problems of her legacy even today. Not everything done in the 1980s was bad. She was a formidable person and politician, but you can respect someone whilst profoundly disagreeing with them. She may be gone but the fight to create a more caring, equal Britain goes on.”

And the prize for the worst effigy ever goes to…

Connor also said many within UEA Labour disapprove of the status Thatcher’s funeral is receiving.

Thomas and other members of the UEA Conservatives will be attending the controversial Ceremonial Funeral today.

Are you marking Margaret Thatcher’s death in any particular way? What do you think about her funeral? Is it wrong to celebrate her passing? Comment below and let us know!