Tremaindous!

UEA’s new chancellor has finally been announced.

rose tremain uea chancellor uea news

Rose Tremain, multi-prizewinning writer and UEA graduate, has been announced as the university’s new Chancellor. 

Tremain was an English undergraduate on the university’s second intake almost fifty years ago, and will now be the first UEA graduate, first writer and first woman to take the position. She will be installed on 7th June, acting as Chancellor for UEA’s 50th anniversary within her three year contract.

This appointment comes after years of longstanding, dedicated association with UEA. Tremain taught the internationally renowned Creative Writing MA for six years, frequently read at the literary festival, and in 2000 was awarded an honorary doctorate.

Amongst other work, Tremain is the author of eleven novels and credits her time at UEA as the kickstarter for her success.

She said: “I therefore owe UEA a big personal debt and I hope I can pay this back by being a vibrant spokeswoman for an exceptional institution which has stayed marvellously faithful to its chosen motto, Do Different – not least by appointing me.”

Aside from the Chancellor’s formal duties, chairing Court meetings and conferring degrees, the role is flexible, and Tremain will shape it according to the university’s requirements and values.

Students reacted enthusiastically to the appointment of our first woman chancellor.

As an internationally acclaimed writer and CBE as well as a venerable UEA affiliate, Rose Tremain has been enthusiastically welcomed to the post, both by students on Twitter and by UEA’s council, through its Registrar and Secretary Brian Summers: “The university is delighted that Rose, one of our earliest and most renowned graduates, has accepted our invitation to become our Chancellor in our 50th anniversary year.

The installation of a Chancellor is always cause for great celebration in any university community, but particularly so when the appointment is someone with such deep and long-standing association with the institution.”