The Beauty of St. Benedicts

Culture editor Rhy Brignell tells us why St. Benedicts Street is her favourite Norwich haunt.

norwich norwich arts centre. shopping st benedicts street the bicycle shop uea

When living in halls in the first year of UEA, it’s easy to become caught in the convenience that is the campus bubble. Everything any student could need is there in front of you – the UFO, the Union Pub, a bookshop, a bank, various cafés, a library, a laundrette…

Moving away from that bubble in second year means students often have to familiarise themselves with new surroundings and quickly assess the best spots to hang out in the city, as well as campus.

Lots of shops, lots of restaurants… lovely!

St. Benedicts Street lies at the eastern edge of the city centre, close to ‘The Golden Triangle’ and leading on from Dereham Road. Its appeal is apparent from the offset – St Benedicts is a quaint-looking street, lined with multiple independent shops and restaurants.

Perhaps the only two chain-like places are Cash Converters and Pizza Express – there are no Tesco Metros or Topshops to be found here. St Benedicts offers a nostalgic return to an older Norwich.

For shopping, check out Arts Desire – a small independent boutique offering local hand-made jewellery and trinkets. They run evening classes in the back of the shop where you can learn how craft your own jewellery and much more.

There is also a vintage clothes shop called Prim Vintage Fashion, an independent music store called Soundclash, and a fantastic and well-priced fancy dress shop called Top Hat – ideal for Tuesday nights in the LCR.

For somewhere to eat, be sure to wander into The Rumbling Tum for a decent baguette or fry up for lunch.

For dinner, Pinocchio’s offers 2 courses for £10 between 5.30-7pm Monday to Saturday – perfect for the budget-conscious student looking for an escape from instant noodles and masses of pasta.

The Bicycle Shop also resides here – a popular student bar (despite its pricey drinks) which occasionally puts on open-mic nights.

Norwich Arts Centre

Norwich Arts Centre rests comfortably in the middle of St Benedicts. The venue offers a wide range of events and promotes relatively small artists, all within the picturesque and atmospheric surroundings of a converted church. It has been featured in NME’s Best Small Venues.

In short, these spots are just a small selection of the delights St. Benedicts Street has to offer. Next time you’re in the city centre or nearby, make sure to venture down there to find your own favourite places – there is certainly something for everyone.