3rd Magdalen- Augustine Celebration this weekend

Join us this Saturday 13 for the Magdalen-Augustine Celebration

When you think of Magdalen Street, the concrete mass of Anglia Square is what first springs to mind.

Flanking Her Majesty’s (disused) Stationary Office and what was originally Norwich’s main shopping precinct are medieval streets lined with quirky shops and cosmopolitan cafes. With new shabby chic shops popping up week on week, charity shops galore and retro fashion almost spilling on to the pavements, it’s a trendy-bargain-shopper’s daydream.

October 13th heralds the 3rd Magdalen-Augustine Celebration, and with it, an effort to highlight just how diverse, creative and exciting the area really is! Magdalen Street and St. Augustine Street were once known as the creative quarter of the city – a hub of music venues and artists – and James Frost, music co-ordinator, says, “We still like to think of it that way”.

For this year’s Celebration, some of Norwich’s finest musicians will perform a variety of acoustic, swing/Americana, and classical music in three venues, in addition to the roving buskers who will play live in the street. “With support from Future Radio and HEART it promises to put Magdalen Music on the map!” says Frost.

In addition, the entertainment will include pop-up performances, art exhibitions, history tours, poetry recitals, story telling, face painting, tandem rides, and much more, leaving something for everyone. If none of those take your fancy, then check out the shops for some Brick Lane-like bargains.

Volunteers, including many from UEA, run the whole event and everyone who is involved wants to celebrate culture, Magdalen-Augustine and the city of Norwich. Visit our website – http://www.magdalenstreet.blogspot.co.uk/ – or our Facebook page for more information.

We hope to see you there!