Norwich confirm Hughton appointment

Norwich City FC today confirmed former Birmingham and Newcastle manager Chris Hughton as Paul Lambert’s successor at Carrow Road.

| UPDATED football hughton lambert manager norwich

Norwich City FC today confirmed former Birmingham and Newcastle manager Chris Hughton as Paul Lambert’s successor at Carrow Road. The Canaries are rumoured to have paid Birmingham £2 Million in compensation to get their man.

A brief Norwich FC statement today said: ‘The Club are delighted to confirm that Chris Hughton has been appointed the new Norwich City Manager.’

Hughton said of his appointment: “The job that Paul has done here and the club have done here in the last few years, it’s a wonderful achievement to rise from the third division, through the Championship and into the Premier League.

“For somebody in management, it’s a tough task and everyone appreciates the job he [Lambert] has done here. It’s a hard act to follow but it’s about a challenge and it’s about making progress as football club.”

“It’s about stability in this division, making progress and with every new manager and new player comes a new challenge. That’s what I have got to look forward to.”

Hughton spent the majority of his playing career at Tottenham where he racked up 297 appearances in thirteen years at the club. After retiring he returned to Spurs and was a member of the coaching staff from 1998 – 2008 where he was assistant manager to David Pleat, Jaques Santini and Martin Jol and served as caretaker manager on two occasions.

In February 2008 Hughton joined Kevin Keegan’s staff at Newcastle and in the summer of 2009 after Newcastle’s relegation to the Championship was appointed caretaker manager.

After successful start, Hughton was appointed permanent boss of Newcastle and led the Geordies as they dominated the Championship, gaining promotion at the first time of asking.

After a solid start back in the Premiership including a 6 – 0 thrashing over Aston Villa and a victory over Arsenal, Hughton was astonishingly sacked by Newcastle owner Mike Ashley with the team sitting in 11th position in the Premiership.

Last season Hughton was appointed Birmingham manager, who despite a lack of funds and a long campaign of over 60 matches including Europa League games, he led the team to fourth in the Championship and a Playoff appearance, ultimately being defeated 3-2 on aggregate by Blackpool.

This is a shrewd appointment by Norwich and one which should instil optimism amongst the Canaries faithful after the disappointment of Lambert’s departure. Hughton is an experienced and innovative manager with a proven track-record.

At every club he has managed, the expectations have been met and he has been incredibly popular with his players and fans. I think it is safe to say that unlike Mike Ashley, Delia Smith and the other members of the Norwich board would be very happy if Hughton guided the Canaries to 11th place in the Premiership.