FILM REVIEW: The Hunger Games

Julia Sanderson reviews the film adaptation of the eagerly awaited ‘The Hunger Games’.

catniss film hunger games review

Adapted from Suzanne Collins’ incredibly popular young adult book series of the same name, The Hunger Games has finally arrived in cinemas with the highest of expectations. 

Standing outside the cinema  with an odd amalgamation of teenage girls, brow-beaten boyfriends and a few lone women of a certain age (one of which had bought her own wine), I could feel the excitement of the crowd building. My friend suggested that we sit on opposite sides of the theatre as she is Team Gale and I am Team Peeta. I was trying to establish whether she was joking when the doors burst open and people started running into the cinema. Yes, literally running. Ladies and Gentlemen, The Hunger Games have landed.

For anyone that is not familiar with the latest Twilight-esque craze, The Hunger Games is set in a not-to-distant dystopian future, where North America (now known as Panem) has been segregated in 12 districts after a bloody rebellion against The Capitol years earlier. To prevent such an event from re-occurring, each district must ‘offer up’ two tributes each year, between the ages of 12-18, who will all fight each other to the death while the event is broadcast live across the country. Twenty-four go in, only one comes out. One of these unlucky chosen ones is 16 year old Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) who volunteers after her beloved younger sister Primrose’s name is picked. District 12’s second tribute is Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson), a baker’s son who once threw Katniss a loaf of burned bread to keep her from starving.

The two are whisked off to The Capitol, a city where all the wealth, excess and power of Panem is now centred, to prepare for the Hunger Games. They are dressed up and paraded in front of the baying crowds who have the power to sponsor a tribute if they like what they see, which could mean the difference between dying of dehydration and being gifted a bottle of water once in the arena. Interviews are conducted for the same purpose, as well as survival and defence training. To keep the public rooting for District 12 (the poorest and least favoured district) Peeta reveals he has had a crush on Katniss since they were children. Once in the arena, Katniss realises that this ‘star-crossed lovers’ routine may be enough to keep both her and Peeta alive as the other tributes kill each other off one by one. But will The Capitol allow two tributes to win?

Turning first person narration into a film is always a risky venture, but director Gary Ross pulls it off effortlessly. By cutting away to what is occurring outside of the Hunger Games arena (such as the strategic manipulation used by the game makers to force the children into combat and the reactions of audiences who are forced to watch), he is able to reveal much about the dangerously volatile nature of Panem. Katniss could also be a hard character for audiences to like, as she is emotionally closed-off, but Jennifer Lawrence manages to hit just the right note of subtle emotion hidden behind a stony expression. She is supported by a stellar cast, who each play their roles with great conviction.

So, is The Hunger Games the new Twilight?

In this reviewer’s opinion, no. It’s better. Why? Because Bella wouldn’t last two minutes in the Hunger Games without her sparkly beau swooping in to save her. Katniss saves herself over and over again through strength, cunning and a steadfast desire to survive. Due to a distinct lack of sparkly vampires and an excess of power-hungry Governments, warped reality TV shows and the growing gap between rich and poor, Katniss is the kind of female leading lady that Hollywood needs much, much more of.

Email us at [email protected] to submit content.