UEA+E

UEA Hosts Nation-wide Trauma Conference.

Conference Trauma uea

A trauma conference event was held at UEA teaching students how to deal with major accident management, battlefield trauma and pre-hospital care.

40 doctors and paramedics attended the event, lecturing and supervising students, talking them through the correct procedures and use of equipment in simulated car crashes, accidents, and club brawls using actors in full costume and make-up.

The event was attended by more than 100 medical, nursing and health care students from the Universities; Durham, Cambridge, Nottingham, Southampton and UEA .

It was structured to educate future medical professionals in the area of trauma and emergency medicine through a series of lectures, seminars and practical sessions.

The conference was organised by 4th year UEA Surgical Society’s Caroline Anderson. She said: ‘trauma is a fascinating and rewarding branch of medicine that bridges every body system. The event prepares us for real life trauma situations before emergency services arrive.’

The areas of medicine covered were Orthopaedic trauma involving fractures, battlefield and C Spine management, also chest trauma including pre-hospital care, bleeding management, suturing and chest drain insertion.

The more advanced medical students experienced neurological trauma scenarios concerning intubation, spinal and head injuries and in depth general medicine situations involving burns management.

Each practical was supervised by a professional and followed up by lectures on surgical reconstruction and the psychological impact of trauma.

The event also raised £700 for the Norfolk Accident Rescue Service (NARS) through attendance fees and raffle tickets.

All photos were taken by Russ Khroma.