Odd Future- 2011 and Beyond

Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All closed 2011 admist hype, controversy but most importantly, success. James Lillywhite reports on Odd Future’s continued rise to fame with the advent of "Odd Future Tape Vol. 2", due to be released 20th March.

Odd Future The UEA Drop uea

Over the last year, the Hip-Hop collective known as Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All (or OFWGKTA) have moved from relative internet obscurity to global fame and notoriety. Comprised of rappers Tyler the Creator, Hodgy Beats, Earl Sweatshirt, Domo Genesis and Mike G, singer Frank Ocean and producers Left Brain, Syd tha Kyd and Matt Martians, the collective have released a number of records, opened a shop in LA, and are soon to have their own MTV television series. The always controversial ‘frontman’ of the group, Tyler the Creator, has appeared on magazine covers, talk shows and radio programmes across the world. Noted for their intense and often violent live shows, this young collective seem to be on a continuous rise. 2012 looks to further that.

Their breakthrough came with Tyler the Creator’s song ‘Yonkers’, released in February 2011. The track, along with its minimalistic and disturbing video, was critically acclaimed, shooting Tyler and his crew to fame. Fans found an online community, where albums were posted for free, pictures were shared and blogs were posted. They were soon appearing on American talk shows, and their gathering support led to a nationwide, then an international, tour. Tyler has since appeared on Zane Lowe’s Radio 1 show and on the cover of the NME in the UK, becoming a recognised face worldwide. Albums from the group were released throughout 2011, with the later ones on their own record label, and, combined with constant controversy, were continuously in the public eye.

So, with the release of Odd Future Tape Vol. 2 on 20th March, it seems that OFWGKTA look to continue the success of 2011. The end of the year saw Mellowhype (Hodgy Beats and Left Brain), The Internet (Syd tha Kid and Matt Martians) and Frank Ocean all release their separate records, so this new mixtape arrives with the public having greater knowledge of the ‘other’ members of Odd Future. The lead singles ‘Rella’ and ‘NY (Ned Flander)’ continue the uniquely Odd Future combination of surrealism and cartoon violence, and with songs titles like ‘Bitches’ and ‘Sam (Is Dead)’ on the new mixtape, it is clear that Odd Future are back.

So, what does the rest of 2012 hold for OFWGKTA? After the release of Odd Future Tape Vol. 2 this month, there are strong hints that Earl Sweatshirt could return. After being forced to leave by his mother after she heard his debut album, Earl has been idolised in Odd Future circles. Chants of ‘Free Earl’ can be heard across their records and throughout their live shows, and his return is met with large anticipation. Following that, they will embark on another European tour, and Tyler is looking to release his new record Wolf. Members of Odd Future have even been pictured recording with Kayne West. It seems then, that OFWGKTA are ready to take 2012 as well. And they will no doubt be shouting ‘SWAG’ while they do it.