Norwich Lanes Fashion Night Out

In honour of last week’s Norwich Lanes Fashion Night Out, ELEANOR WILSON and KAT TARLING review some of Norwich’s less mainstream retail offerings.

fashion Norwich Fashion week. norwich lanes norwich lanes fashion night out

Champagne, cupcakes, live music, and even free designer inspired blow-drys. We went down to Norwich Lanes Fashion Night Out to bring you a review of the trendiest shopping among the quaint cobblestones.

PRIM VINTAGE FASHION
14, St Benedict’s Street
A mecca for vintage fans, with a particularly large range of leather riding boots and silk scarves. Unlike some pretentious vintage stores, nothing is overpriced, and they even have a whole floor dedicated to menswear, so fashion conscious males can dip a toe into the vintage look. They were offering cupcakes and champagne to reel in potential buyers, but we resisted on the grounds that the cupcakes were far too pretty to eat.

IMELDA’S SHOE BOUTIQUE
1, Guildhall Hill
Shoe lovers, I warn you now: you will not be able to leave this shop. (At least, we couldn’t.) If you are an accessories hoarder this colourful and quirky boutique will become your new happy place. There is a focus on vintage style; they stock a large range of shoes by eccentric brand Irregular Choice. However, the carefully picked selection encompasses every style, and all the latest and upcoming trends, from studded shoe boots to prim brogues, and Dr. Martins. There is also an assortment of retro style sunglasses and silk scarves to satisfy Marilyn wannabes.

LISA ANGEL
74, Mill Road
An adorable aladdin’s cave of jewellery, trinkets, sweets, and things you don’t really need but somehow can’t live without. We were lured in by the promise of cocktails and cupcakes, but were soon distracted by the delights for sale. Prices range from dainty jewellery for under a tenner to luxury leather handbags for £100+. An ideal place to search for gifts for the mum/sister/best friend who has everything.

PHILIP BROWNE MENSWEAR
3, Guildhall Hill
Controversial window displays of this achingly cool menswear store have included a supposedly hungover mannequin pissing ‘SALE’ onto a wall, and live tattooing of staff members. They have a rep for stocking underground designers, as well as the mainstays of Britpop style, such as Adidas Originals and Fred Perry. Prices range from around a fiver for accessories to well into the hundreds for jackets. So guys, this may be one to hit in April when the next loan installment arrives, or better yet to bring mummy and daddy when they come to visit. Though even if you are resigned to window shopping, this unique store is definitely worth a browse.

DOGFISH
6, Bedford Street
If you’re of the group that views graffiti as art, rather than a display of anti-social behaviour, then this is the shop for you. With walls dripping in Obey posters, the store has a definite street style image. They carry a wide range of premium brands, including N.E.R.D. star Pharrell William’s Billionaire Boys Club. And there’s enough brightly coloured merchandise (basketball caps, watches, and even headphones) on offer to mimic his style. Again, prices are at the high end of reasonable, but if you go during the sale you’ll find there’s still a wide selection at less loan-busting prices. Oh, and once you've been hooked by the main store, head across the lane to their dedicated shoe shop.