Image may contain: Person, People, Human

I tried to find a white t-shirt that didn’t show my tits and the results were not okay

Did you know women wear bras?

The simple, laid back blue jeans and white t-shirt look has never gone out of fashion. This effortless but chic style is definitely of a cyclical nature. Its has become the staple of Instagram. The relaxed lewk is incredibly comfortable. The pool of choice for most women however isn’t as we’d like it. This fact isn't obvious until we actually try the garment on, yes, the t-shirt is white, yes it fits. But one, important, thing persists – right in the middle of the top, is your bra. But didn’t you plan for this eventuality and put on a white bra? obviously. Fate had other plans however, and wearing a white bra didn’t cut it because this t-shirt wasn’t created with that in mind.

In fact it's sometimes so obvious that you might as well have not bothered to put a top on. It's astounding, but the women’s t-shirt you were willing to pay for wasn't made with a woman in mind.

Therefore I took it upon myself to visit six popular high street clothing stores to evaluate where is the best place to purchase a plain white t-shirt.

So off I went, equipped with a white bra to see the best and the worst of the choices we women have.

H&M

H&M, £6.99, 1/5

H&M has always been a mainstay of mine, the colours that they incorporate in their clothing and their ability to cover a range of styles has always been impressive.

However this was the worst white t-shirt in the list. I don’t think I can even call this a t-shirt, the fabric was so thin they might as well as have sold it as a shear top. Though I did like the fit, cling film would be just as good. To put it bluntly, my belly button was on show and the same can be said for my bra. But they are selling some rather nice earrings at the minute.

Urban Outfitters

Image may contain: Clothing, Blouse, Person, People, Human

Urban Outfitters, £22.00, 2/5

The home of alternative fashion, many things in Urban Outfitters are gorgeous, so much so that as soon as theres a sale we flock en mass, at the first sight of a sale. Many people are divided on whether the price reflects the level of quality and in some cases I believe it is.

This, however isn’t one of those times. For the meagre price £22 you can purchase a white cropped t-shirt, that also lets people know you’re wearing the same bra for the third time this week! That being said UO were not at the level of H&M but they weren’t much better and the price itself, for something you can find the same quality of in New Look, adds to the absurdity of it.

New Look

New Look, £9.99, 3/5

New look has recently become the shop of hidden gems, where you can actually find nice things in their summer sale. As I entered the store I actually found what I was looking for straight away. Though not completely white, I felt the bands on the arms were actually a nice touch and still kept it simplistic. This is in the middle of this list, it was definitely see-through but not at the level of transparent that I was used to, and the fabric was actually quite thick.

Primark

Primark, £6.00, 3/5

Yes you’re reading this right, Primark is receiving a higher review than that of Urban Outfitters. Primark has currently been delivering some good products recently, especially their gym wear and bra-lets. This review counts their white T-shirt in that category also. I entered the store thinking this would be obvious, but in fact all I could see was a vague outline of the top of my bra. The main negative of this t-shirt was the feel of the fabric and its shape, however, I was impressed to say the least.

Zara

Zara, £5.99, 4/5

Zara’s stand out design makes the Spanish store a winner among many, including myself, and its what has helped the store go from strength to strength. This t-shirt is an example of that as well. The cheapest among all of the options reviewed in this article, it passed the bra test.

The only reason this piece didn’t receive full marks is because you could tell vaguely where my bra was but you definitely could’t see it in full form, it was more of a shadow. In my opinion, I wouldn’t be wholly comfortable wearing it without a bra, but the items price definitely means its worth the purchase.

Topshop

Topshop, £10.00, 5/5

I will admit that I haven’t been in Topshop for a while, mainly because when I enter wanting one thing I leave with five others and proceed to rush home before I buy anything else. Topshop is certainly in the higher end of the price list. But personally, I’m not sure that matters too much. This t-shirt is definitely value for money, the fabric was thick, soft and I could even get away with not wearing a bra at all, which is certainly the ultimate test. If my bank would have let me, I would have bought it.

Out of the six I tried on, the best would be Topshop closely followed by Zara. Finding a white t-shirt that doesn’t show your bra can be quiet difficult especially when you include the price factor. In this day and age its is easy to be lured into thinking that the higher the price equals better value for money. Its also easy to think that buying t-shirts that show you're bra are a fact of the modern retail system. But with a little persistence it is possible to find a white top that ticks all the boxes.