The best places to eat in Manchester on a student budget

Eat the exam stress away

The Kitchens Left Back, Irwell Square

Located in the heart of Spinningfields, The Kitchens offers a cool, casual dining scene and some of Manchester best street food. Enjoy amazing cuisine from around the world, filling yourself up for only a fiver. Currently home to BEASTro, Yard Food Shop and Platzki, Spinningfields is no longer off limits to the budget foodie.

This and That, Soap Street

Established in 1984, This and That is one of Manchester’s best loved curry houses. Hidden away in the Northern Quarter, the Indian cafe offers three curries and rice starting from just £3.90. There are dozens of meaty options with a great choice of veg dishes too, and a different menu of curries on each day of the week. You’d be silly not to try it.

Chango’s Burrito Bar, Oxford Road

Chango’s is perhaps a more obvious choice, a popular eatery for many Mancunians on a busy Oxford Road during lunchtime. The burrito bar is renowned for its fresh and tasty Mexican cuisine, and the lunch deal (which includes a burrito of your choice, nachos and a drink) is a bargain at £4.95. Eat in the casual dining space or take out if you’re on the go but make sure you check out what all the fuss is about – it’ll be worth your while.

Vnam, Oldham Road

Vnam offers the chance to explore adventurous, authentic Vietnamese food in the heart of Manchester. With dishes ranging from traditional pho to BBQ quail, why not step out of your comfort zone and try something hearty and different for less than a tenner. It’s a popular Asian gem of the city.

Northern Soul Grilled Cheese, Church Street

Opposite the Arndale Market lies Manchester’s most famous grilled cheese sandwich joint. The cool, lively fast-food restaurant offers fillings of your choice like chorizo, bacon and pulled pork. You may think these whopper sandwiches come at a hefty price, but you can never go wrong with prices centring round the £5 mark. Irresistible…

Kukoos, Oxford Road

Another street food favourite comes in the form of Kukoos, in prime location on Oxford Road. It serves up ‘sunshine soaked’ food from India, Morocco and Lebanon, promising to put warmth in your belly. Tasty hot snacks are only a pound and a full curry with rice will only set you back £6. An eclectic mix of delicious cuisines not to be missed.

Common, Edge Street

This late-night NQ music bar offers a great range of light bites and sandwiches for under a fiver, influenced by many cultures and recently adding New York deli-inspired dishes to the menu. It’s one of those places that’s great any time of the day – for coffee, for a few bevs in the Northern Quarter, or for a hearty lunch. It’s got a super cool vibe and offers cheap food outside of the box.

Dive NQ, Tib Street

Great American food can be found at Dive NQ, from mix and match sliders for £9.50, to twelve chicken wings at £8, to loaded salads from £7. Also a sports bar and club, this underground eatery provides the perfect food for beer and company. Check out their social media for offers, specials and giveaways.

I Am Pho, George Street

A Vietnamese wonder in Manchester’s Chinatown, I Am Pho represents a wealth of traditional favourites. Bahn Mi, an authentic baguette sandwiches, are available for lunch for just £3. The portions are huge and there are a range of meats and sides on offer. Serving up classics like no one else, I Am Pho deserves praise for its innovation in the midst of Manchester’s greatest Asian food.