Manchester is one of Lonely Planet’s top ten cities to visit

We’re ‘the UK’s cultural boomtown’

Lonely Planet has ranked Manchester the eighth best city to visit in 2016, beating Nashville and Rome.

Considering the contrast in weather, this is a serious score for Manc.

The guide describes our city as a “dynamo of culture and the arts” and “the UK’s cultural boomtown”.

Hey manc

Considering new plans for improvement, it has been noted that the government has “committed £78 million to build The Factory, a new, multi-purpose arts space that will include a 2,200-seat theatre and will be the permanent home of the Manchester International Festival.”

Even the Whitworth Art Gallery located on Oxford Road got a mention as one of the country’s “most important.”

And of course, the sports side of the city wasn’t unnoticed, mentioning that Manchester’s football heritage, including it’s 2 top premier league sides Manchester United and Manchester City have brought a huge cultural following to the city. The National Football Museum being one of the city’s most beloved attractions.

Our Whitworth got a mention

Lonely Planet finally said: “Whatever experience travellers are after – culture, sport, shopping, nightlife – they won’t come away from Manchester disappointed. The city has something to offer everyone.”

The news doesn’t come as a surprise to people who study in Manchester. Third year Tom said: “I love Manchseter because I’m originally from London, so living here you get the best of both worldies.”