Horizontal photo showing frontal view of UCL's Portico with seven banners spelling out the word "welcome."

UCL announce in-person graduation ceremonies for 2020 and 2021 graduates

The announcement was made on the Students’ Union UCL Instagram page

UCL have announced that there will finally be in-person graduation ceremony for all students who have graduated in 2020 and 2021.

This comes after the Covid-19 pandemic prevented in-person graduation ceremonies from taking place for the past two years. Many students across the country over the past two years have been disappointed that in-person graduation ceremonies could not happen, with online ceremonies taking their place. The main complaint was that most students felt it did not fully reward them for all their hard work throughout their degrees.

Thankfully, past graduates will still be able to walk along the stage and have the graduation ceremony they have been waiting for.

This was announced in a video on the Students’ Union UCL Instagram page, in which Ilyas Benmouna, Students’ Union UCL’s Activities and Engagement Officer, stated the following:

“Ever since the pandemic forced everything online, we’ve had loads of students contact us about an in-person graduation ceremony and we’ve taken on board your feedback. UCL have been in constant communication with us, and we’re listening to all your feedback and we’re working with them on this…

“For those that graduated in 2020 and 2021, there will be an in-person graduation ceremony from the 7th to the 17th of March in 2022. The ceremony will include a walk across the stage moment in your graduation gown with your friends and family watching from the audience.

“There’s a massive backlog of students graduating over the last two years, so to accommodate everyone and their family and friends, the event and the ceremony will be in the Excel arena…

“After the ceremony, everyone and their family and friends will be invited back to UCL on the main campus for a reception, and you get a chance to take pictures and there’ll be lots of activities there.”

UCL will contact past graduates by email regarding bookings for the graduation ceremonies soon.

Students graduating in 2022 will be contacted from UCL over the summer regarding their graduation ceremonies.

Ilyas finishes the video saying: “I’m really pleased to be announcing this news and I’m looking forward to the events next year”.

The full video can be viewed below.

If you are a 2020 or 2021 graduate, be sure to keep an eye out for email communications from UCL regarding the ceremonies and other updates.

Recent stories recommended by this writer:

Israeli Ambassador evacuated from LSE under heavy security

TeamUCL moves Sports Night from Loop to Scala

What degree would the characters from You take at different London unis?