16-year-old boy sentenced for racially motivated attack on UCL student

Jonathan Mok’s attacker has finally been charged for the attack that took place 11 months ago

A 16-year-old boy has been sentenced to an 18-month youth rehabilitation order in connection to an attack on UCL student, Jonathan Mok.

The assault occurred last year in February on Oxford Street when one individual from a group of white males made a remark towards the 23-year-old Singaporean student about coronavirus. The individual then proceeded to punch and kick Jonathan whilst his friends joined in.

Witnesses heard individuals involved in the attack shout explicitly racist phrases such as “you are diseased, don’t come near me” and “I don’t want your coronavirus in our country.”

Although the convicted youth denied racism as the cause of violence, chair of the bench Mervyn Mandell stated: “This was an unprovoked attack for no reason other than his [Mr. Mok’s] appearance.”

Jonathan suffered a fracture to his nose and cheekbone which required surgery and stitches. A victim statement read on behalf of the UCL student said: “My legal education had to be halted for a month due to surgery and follow up medical appointments.

“I have anxiety and have problems sleeping. I believe the defendant is a threat to Singaporeans and South-East Asians. He has shown no remorse.”

The teenager, who has been convicted of racially aggravated grievous bodily harm, will also have to wear an electronic monitoring tag, adhere to a curfew for 10 weeks, and pay £600 in compensation to Jonathan.

No one else has been charged in connection with the attack.