We asked young people why they voted in this General Election

“It’s a Theresa Nay from me”

Pundits have indicated that 72 per cent of 18 to 24-year-olds voted in yesterday’s General Election. By contrast, in 2015, only 43 per cent of young people voted.

We asked a selection of 18 to 24-year-olds why they chose to cast their vote this General Election:

Abbie, Labour, 21

Portsmouth

“I voted because it’s personal for me. Both my parents and my younger brother are disabled, and I’ve witnessed the effects that cuts to both the NHS and benefits have had. This country has needed change for a very long time and the only way to achieve that is to vote.”

Dan, Labour, 20

Southampton, Philosophy and History, second year

“My vote didn’t change anything on a national level but I’d still rather openly show opposition to someone whose party represents everything I despise, rather than remain quiet on the matter.

Also, fuck Theresa May; all I have is these weird dreams of her running naked through a wheat field now.”

Mared, Labour, 20

Cardiff, Journalism, second year

“Okay so I voted Labour, like most people my age. The money Corbyn was going to put back into the NHS, the nationalisation of railways, putting more police out on the streets; THOSE were the things that made us vote. He successfully managed to engage hundreds of thousands of young people who hadn’t previously taken an interest in politics.”

Tom, undisclosed, 21

UCL, Philosophy, second year

“I voted because I owe it to my friends, family, Britain and myself to participate in the democratic conversation. And because I’d be lynched by my politically incensed peers if I didn’t.”

Kelsey, Labour, 21

Southampton, English Literature and Philosophy, third year

The NHS has had to change my medication to cheaper alternatives due to budget cuts, and my asthma reviews have been switched to an online survey, because my surgery can’t afford to give all the asthma patients appointments. It’s been infuriating to watch the Conservative government dismantling the NHS piece by piece.

Alex, Labour, 20

UCL, Civil Engineering, second year

I felt my choice of candidate actually had a chance of winning this time.”

Sophie, Labour, 22

UCL, MSci Natural Sciences, fourth year

“The future of the NHS is an important issue for me and I don’t believe it will be either strong or stable under Tory leadership – it’s a Theresa Nay from me.”

Maz, Greens, 21

Sheffield, Sociology, second year

“I voted for the Greens because I want there to be a change. Everyone is fed up of people like George Osborne and David Cameron. We need a party that looks further than the next five years; but looks at our future as a whole.”

Bea, Labour, 21

Portsmouth, Sociology with Psychology, second year

“For the first time ever I felt like my views were being represented by a major political party. I voted with my heart because I want a more equal society with access to healthcare and education. If I was rich I would gladly pay taxes to make that happen for everyone else. Basically I voted out of humanity.”

Serena, Lib Dem, 20

UCL, Human Sciences, second year

“Even though I was disillusioned with the major parties in this election, I still feel it is a duty to vote. Also, it’s only been a few generations since women gained the vote; I think it is absolutely key to exercise that right.”

Joksie, Labour, 20

Loughborough University, second year

“This election felt personal. The strain on the NHS is a factor. Being in and out of hospital quite often myself, I do often think; “If I live in the USA, my parents would probably be up to their neck in medical bills by now.”

As a Londoner, I also find the cuts to our police force extremely worrying. There was a lot more to consider than university fees, and I’m sick of older people implying that it’s the only reason we decided to vote.”

Nick, undisclosed, 19

Birkbeck, Psychology, first year

“My vote was largely unimportant due to my constituency being a safe seat, so I voted purely for statistical influence to make it known how well supported my local candidate is and increase support for my chosen party.”

Harry, Labour, 22

University of Hertfordshire, Digital Animation, third year

“I voted because I know that we have the power to take control of our future, but only if we all work together to make our voice heard. It is the responsibility of every individual with an opinion to come forward and be part of making a difference.”