UCL smash King’s in impressive lacrosse Varsity victory

The mixed UCLU Lacrosse team scored a hefty win against KCL in Regent’s Park

KCL king's lacrosse sports ucl UCLU varsity

UCLU’s lacrosse team rounded off a thrilling week for UCL’s sports societies with an impressive 15-5 victory against King’s yesterday afternoon.

The mixed team racked up a secure win in the unofficial varsity match, in front of a sizeable crowd of supporters in a summery Regent’s Park.

The team pose for a celebratory photo after the match

Early goals came from Issy Burgess and George Sampson, with UCLU Lacrosse club president Ethan Friskney-Adams tallying an admirable contribution to the team’s final score throughout.

Speaking after the match, Friskney-Adams, who scored a third of UCL’s fifteen goals, said to The Tab: “Once we’d got used to playing in the heat – we usually get more snow than sun – it was a great game.”

“Kings really pushed us in the second half, but we managed to keep them out and it was a fitting end to our first ever undefeated season,” he continued. “It was a great team effort. Special credit goes to our captain Viola and our goalie Jack, who had a sensational game.”

King’s make a futile run for the goal

KCL failed to make any real attempt at a comeback in the opening stages, with UC’s goalkeeper Jack Chaloner valiantly staving off many of King’s attempts at scoring.

It took until the third quarter for King’s to score their first of only five goals.

Drama also came in the third quarter from a suspected serious shoulder injury to UCL’s Simon Vaughan.

Cheerful in defeat: KCL pose for a varsity souvenir

Later goals for the UC team came from Mickie Koh and Jenny Beard, with KCL showing no real attempt at a breakthrough.

Tab Man of the Match Ethan starts the Champagne celebrations

UCLU Lacrosse’s second team were also celebrating a win yesterday, after beating Royal Holloway 7-5.

The club’s campaign continues on Wednesday, with the ladies’ first team match against Southampton.