Pride 2021: Lincoln’s LGBTQ+ charities and businesses you can support

Here is how allies can show their support this month, and always

We are halfway through the year, and the sun has stopped hiding behind the clouds which can only mean it is June and now Pride month.

Pride month is a month dedicated to celebrating those part of the LGBTQ+ community around the world. June is historic in celebrating pride as it was the month the Stonewall riots began in 1969. The series of demonstrations “served as a catalyst for the gay rights movement in the United States and around the world.”

Pride month highlights how far LGBTQ+ rights have come, teaching tolerance, and celebrating love. With this in mind, allies can show their support for the LGBTQ+ community in Lincoln.

The Scene

The Scene is Lincoln’s sole LGBTQ+ venue and has been since 2012. The Scene is “extremely proud” to be the only LGBTQ+ venue in Lincoln, and they pride themselves “on providing an inclusive and safe space for everyone who needs it, whether they are part of the LGBTQ+ community or not!”

The nightclub has been organising Lincoln Pride since 2013, however, the event has been cancelled for two consecutive years due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Scene will be reopening its doors on Friday, June 4th. Walk-ins are accepted but bookings are also advised.

JUST Lincolnshire

JUST Lincolnshire is the single Equality and Human Rights organisation for the county. They aim to make a real difference in the lives of those in Lincolnshire from different backgrounds. They champion equality, tackle discrimination and celebrate “the richly diverse makeup of Lincolnshire.”

Their mission is to eliminate discrimination because of one’s age, sex, race, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy and maternity, religion and belief, and marriage and civil partnership.

As well as wishing to advance equality of opportunity in the county, and “developing a sense of fairness and respect for all.” They also host a series of panels and offer a wide range of resources on sexual orientation, transgender, and non-binary people.

Positive Health Lincolnshire

Positive Health Lincolnshire is the county’s leading sexual health charity, “providing assistance to those living with HIV, and providing education and training throughout the county on sexual health.” They are located in Lincoln’s city centre at 25 Newland.

They offer relationship support, confidential counselling, mental health support, and offer a YoungAddiction support service.

You can donate to the charity here.

If you or someone you know has been affected by this story you can contact Switchboard, the LGBTQ+ helpline, on 0300 330 0630 or visit their website. You can also find help through The Mix

Featured image credit via Mercedes Mehling on Unsplash