A conversation with ULSU’s Sexual Health Champion on taking care of yourself when having sex

‘Putting a condom on a banana never has and never will be enough’

Staying safe and healthy when having sex is extremely important, and at university, many students may be having sex for the first time or experiencing casual sex often than when back at home.

From May 17th, you will be allowed to meet up with people outdoors and stay overnight and in people’s homes. This means you will be able to have sex for the first time all year. Some young people haven’t had sex in over a year, and so staying safe when having sex is of the utmost importance.

The Lincoln Tab spoke to Lucy Dunkerley, the Lead Sexual Health Wellbeing Champion at the University of Lincoln’s Students’ Union, on how to stay safe when having sex.

How can students stay safe when having sex?

“COMMUNICATE! If you’re having sex with another person, you have to be comfortable talking about your own sexual health. Do you know what you like? What you don’t like? When was the last time you had an STI screening? When was the last time they had an STI screening? Being able to have frank conversations about sex is key to keeping everyone safe.

“Understanding that talking and getting enthusiastic consent doesn’t kill the mood – you can only make your sexual experiences safer and more satisfying if everyone involved is on the same page.

“In terms of contraceptive methods to stay safe, there is more available to you than just condoms. There are loads of hormonal and non-hormonal contraceptive methods you can look into if you’re trying to avoid unwanted pregnancy.

“Barrier methods like dental dams can be with partners of any sexuality or gender to reduce your chances of transmitting STIs during oral sex too. Sex ed never really taught us this stuff so don’t be shy to look into it.”

Where can students purchase or get free contraception from?

“Depending on the contraception you want, there are a few places you can go. I’d definitely advise going to your GP or Sexual Health Nurse first – you can discuss what contraceptive method(s) you want to use and work out what might be best for you.

“You can get free condoms using the C-Card scheme in the UK, and methods such as the Copper IUS (the coil), hormonal IUD, implant and patch (and lots of others) are available on the NHS.

“There has been some coverage recently about getting the contraceptive pill over-the-counter in the UK which is definitely something to keep an eye on, but again, I’d definitely say speaking to a medical professional is the best place to start. You can also buy emergency contraceptive pills from your pharmacy should you need them.”

via @ulsu_sexualhealth on Instagram

Where on campus can students go to talk about their sexual health?

“Always go to the GP surgery on-campus to speak to a medical professional about your sexual health – Lincolnshire Sexual Health (LiSH) run drop-ins from the GP’s on Wednesday afternoons.

“You can also speak to myself or your VP Wellbeing and Community if you have concerns that are impacting your life and university study – we are equipped to help you find the resources you need.

“If you have any specific concerns around your sexuality that may be impacting you, the University of Lincoln’s Wellbeing Centre have a dedicated staff member you can ask to speak to about LGBTQ+ issues.”

What should a student do if they feel an irritation somewhere?

“Your GP or Sexual Health Nurse will be able to help you identify the exact cause of your problem. Some issues like thrush (a yeast infection) and UTIs are easy to identify yourself, and annoyingly can be recurrent, but can be treated at home using over-the-counter methods.

“If you have a persistent problem, make sure you talk to your HP so you can get effective treatment. If you think you have symptoms of a specific STI, you can ask for a screening.

“You can reduce your chances of irritation or infection by using body-safe sex toys and lubricants. You also don’t want to be using soaps in or around your genitals.”

via @ulsu_sexualhealth on Instagram

What ways can students check themselves to make sure they are healthy?

“Understanding what is normal for your body is key to understanding when something might be wrong. If you have a vulva, check it in the mirror, and get to know what can kind of discharge you experience at different parts of your menstrual cycle. If you have a penis and testicles, check them on a regular basis so you can more easily identify any change in them.

“People of all genders should also be checking their chest, getting to know their normal and getting anything odd checked out. Your GPs are there to help you – there is nothing you should feel too embarrassed to go to them about.

“If you’re not sure what you should be looking out for, there are plenty of resources out there that can help you navigate keeping on top of your sexual health.”

Do you have any other important information about sexual health?

“Sex ed probably failed us all! If we only use the information we were taught in school, we probably won’t have a very happy or healthy sex life. So being open, honest, and curious is really important when looking after our sexual and emotional health. Putting a condom on a banana never has and never will be enough!

“We should understand that sex positivity looks different to everyone. There is no template for sex, sexuality, gender, or relationships. The only things you need are safety, communication, and consent – the rest is up to you to enjoy however you like!”