This is what your go-to lockdown walk in Lincoln says about you

The West Common never really gets old, does it?

Daily walks, we’ve all heard of them, we know them and we love them (maybe). Until the sparkly date of June 21st, daily walks and where you choose to go remains an important decision during lockdown. Whether it is the South or West Common, or if you’re brave enough to challenge Steep Hill, here’s what your choice of walk says about you. It’s harsh, but not as harsh as Bojo if he cancels June 21st.

The West Common

You either really love a nature walk, you’re a horse girl, or your housemates have dragged you out for an “hour of exercise”. There is no in between. The horses are a lovely bunch, and huge, you may even be brave enough to approach one. You also don’t mind ruining a pair of Nikes or you might be prepared and wear wellies if you have your life together. You may think you have some insider knowledge by sitting around the pond in the common, but in fact, everyone knows it’s there they just don’t want to get their shoes dirty.

The South Common

Where is this? It is practically in Newark. If you manage to find this realm, you’re pretty cool. You’re not like other girls and you truly respect a good walk. With good views and many cows, this is the place for a true adventure goer. It’s Sincil Bank’s version of the West Common – not as good but at least they tried. Similar to if you’re a BGU student going to Quack.

Liquorice Park

You’re southern. That’s it. You don’t mind walking all those steep steps because you relish in the viewing platform at the top. And I have a strong feeling if you’re from the south you’ll love this one. You may even go there at sunset, take a cute photo with a hazy filter on it, and whack it on your Instagram. I don’t blame you, I’d want people to know I’d climbed those steps too.

Steep Hill & Lincoln Cathedral

Have you caught your breath? Are you okay? Okay good, because I respect you. Yes, everyone in Lincoln has done this one, but you keep doing it. Yes, Steep Hill is hellish and it doesn’t get easier but, like a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, there it is in all its glory (sort of as the scaffolding is still there). You choose to go on this death trap walk because you want people to know how fit you are, when deep down no one is really that bothered. Keep enjoying it, you’re a true Lincolner.

Ellis Mill

You’ve been on far too many walks. If you go here you’ve probably been to both Commons so many times you know the horses and cows personally. You’re probably a photography student and go there take some nice snaps of the mill and post it later on in the day. I mean there’s not much here, so you must enjoy the simpler things in life too.

Look how pretty it is!

Brayford and Foss Bank

You’re a bit boring really and just go with the flow. You just follow the river and see where it goes, you’re calm and relaxed and don’t mind where you’ll end up. I commend you, whereas many who have an exact route – you don’t. You don’t plan, you don’t count the steps, you genuinely enjoy it and go for yourself. Whereas many students go for a walk due to parents nagging them over Facetime to get fresh air, you’ve already been. Maybe even twice a day. You’ve got it all under control, if you end up in Gainsborough you don’t mind as it feels good.

The Arboretum

You’re a kid at heart. The maze reminds you of childhood and this place makes you smile. You don’t just go here in summer when everyone does, you love it here and that’s cute. You’re fast to spot a squirrel and it makes you happy every time.

Despite the walks becoming monotonous, we’ll keep going on them, as our limited source of freedom – they are a daily escape from the walls we’ve grown to be inclosed by. See you at the top of Steep Hill, (probably not).