The seven best places in Lincoln to take a walk in lockdown 2.0

You’re welcome x

We now have two and a half weeks left in lockdown and with most of uni lectures and seminars being online, why not make the most of Lincoln’s outdoors, and who wouldn’t want to take advice from yours truly, The Lincoln Tab. These walks will have you so invested in what the horses and swans are up to, you’re bound to forget about your looming deadlines for an hour or two.

So here are the best places to go for a peaceful walk in Lincoln during this November lockdown.

The West & South Common

A short walk down the houses on the West Parade, the West Common is home to a group of horses who if you get too close may neigh really loudly and make you want to run 30 yards (true story) or for the most part, are very relaxed and roam about eating grass. If you want to catch the sunset before the sky goes to sleep, we’d recommend going just before half-past four to catch a final glimpse of the sun. Similar to the West Common, the South Common, however, is situated just on the other side of Lincoln, near Sincil Bank.

Wear some shoes you wouldn’t mind getting slightly muddy, it is winter after all.

The Brayford & Foss Bank

A walk most of us take into and out of uni each day, however now with all the restaurants closed it is as peaceful as ever. You have the chance to see the cygnets in all their glory. If you follow the Brayford further down through to Hayes Wharf you’ll be met at the Foss Bank with even more swans to greet you.

Steep Hill

Now I know what you’re thinking. Steep Hill, are you joking? But if you ignore the fact that it may take a while to walk up, the Christmas lights make up for it and that feeling of accomplishment once you reach the top is worth it.

Cathedral Grounds

Credit: Hayden Pollard

Once you manage to get up Steep Hill you can make your way to the cathedral and walk around its grounds. The Cathedral is 948 years old and who wouldn’t want to get to know the area where we get to graduate one day. The serenity of walking around the Cathedral is next to none and will for sure ease your mind of uni deadline tensions.

Castle Grounds

Similar to the relaxing walk around the Cathedral grounds, why not make an even longer walk out of it and take a stroll around the Castle grounds. It’s been around since the 11th Century and is home to the Magna Carta. The beauty of the grounds should be enough to get your shoes on and brave Steep Hill to see it for yourself.

The second lockdown is affecting everybody differently and if you are struggling please speak to someone or contact Samaritans on 116 123 at any time. You can also contact Anxiety UK on 03444 775 774, Mind on 0300 123 3393, and Calm (Campaign against living miserably, for men aged 15 to 35) on 0800 58 58 58.

The Tab’s You Matter campaign is putting a focus on student mental health right now. If you’ve got a story you’d like to tell us – whether it’s difficulties with getting uni support or anything you think we should hear, get in touch in confidence by emailing [email protected]

You matter.