10 things to add to your Leeds bucket list this summer

So you don’t have to spend every day sat in Hyde Park

Summer 2022 is fast approaching, and it is the first one in two years not threatened by Covid restrictions, so it’s going to be big. With just three months until the long, hot, summer days that bless Leeds, it is never too soon to get started on this year’s bucket-list, so here is 10 ideas of things you can add to make it the best one yet:

1. Leeds Festival

Leeds Festival takes place this year August 25th – 28th at its famous Bramham Park venue, Leeds. The line-up includes everything from DJs like Hybrid Minds, rap artists Dave and Jack Harlow and a headline set from Arctic Monkeys; so you can finally hear them live instead of at O2’s Indie Thursdays.

There are no excuses to miss this one, with shuttle buses running from right outside Leeds train station all day on 25th August to take you to the venue, available from the First Bus app. They also have a return coach back to Leeds on the Sunday, but be warned after four days of camping the smell on that trip home will not be pleasant. Add this one to the list if you want a non-stop weekend of concerts, camping, and of course, we can’t forget the renowned silent disco.

2. Axe throwing

If you’re getting a bit bored of Walkabout Wednesdays, Whistle Punks Axe throwing could spice up your night out. Getting drunk and throwing axes, what could go wrong? They offer a student deal every Wednesday, including an axe throwing session and a free drink all for £15. But, if you can’t bear to miss a night at Walkabout, a single ticket with a drink is £27.50 the rest of the week.

3. The Leeds 10K

If your feeling sporty, then the Leeds 10k is perfect for your list. Starting at 9:30 on Saturday 6th July from outside the Parkinson Steps, this run takes you through the city surrounded by crowds of supporters. You can raise money for charity, achieve a PB, or use it to get your steps in, not to mention fancy dress is allowed so you can recycle your best Otley Run outfits. You can sign up now on the Run For All website. It’s £31-or £29 if you are part of a UK athletics club, and includes a t-shirt, goody bag, medal and the rings on your Apple watch closed.

4. Roundhay Park

Get your green fix at Roundhay Park, one of the largest public parks in Europe. It has acres of walks, two lakes, castle ruins, a golf course, tennis courts and the main attraction: Tropical World. It has animals like meerkats, crocodiles and more, with tickets only setting you back £7.50. Head to the park to fill your day with walks and the many activities on offer, and you can finish it with food from the Mansion restaurant. Pack your bags, head on the two and 12 buses from Leeds City Centre and have a break from spending everyday sunbathing in Hyde Park.

5. Summer themed Otley Run

You cannot be a Leeds Uni student and not do at least one Otley Run this summer. Everyone knows the best part of summer is the cold drinks in pub gardens, so why not complete 16 in a day? That being said, obviously a summer theme is a must, so get your Hawaiian shirts, lifeguard costumes and festival outfits, and get yourself down to Woodies for a long, hot day of non-stop drinking.

6. Leeds Pride

Leeds pride is back this summer on Sunday 31st July, taking place across the city centre. This year the Robert Payne Parade will have a new route, back with a bang after two years of being unable to celebrate. Sponsorship and stall packages will be available in the next few weeks, and artists performing will be announced later in the year, so look out for them. Leeds Pride is one of the only free pride events in the UK, so support you LGBTQ+ community, and save your student loan at the same time.

7. Bottomless Brunch

Spending an afternoon day drinking in summer is a must, and what better way to do it than good food and bottomless drinks. Leeds has some of the best bottomless brunch spots, every style of cuisine and every price range, so whether you’re looking for a budget way to get blackout drunk or want a boujie brunch of avocado toast and Prosecco there is a spot for everyone.

Some of the best in Leeds include Taag, an Instagram worthy spot serving different bottomless meals Friday to Sunday for £30. If you fancy Greek, Tavasolli’s serves gyros with bottomless drinks for £30, for a cheaper option head to Revolucion de Cuba for a £20 brunch. Rebound Social’s brunch includes pizzas and bottomless drinks for £25, and for an extra pound you can head to Fleur café for endless prosecco. All Bar One and Bar Soba also offer bottomless brunch deals, and of course the classic Turtle Bay.

8. West Indian Carnival

If a weekend at Leeds Festival doesn’t take your fancy, on the same weekend, August bank holiday, Leeds West Indian Carnival is returning after two years of being virtual. It is a weekend full of vibrant dancing, colourful parades, DJ’s and food. It has celebrated the best of Caribbean carnival culture for over 50 years in Leeds and this year is no exception. Get yourself down to Potternewton Park on the last Monday of the month to take part in one of the brightest days in Leeds!

9. Go Ape

If you fancy a walk with something a bit different, head to Temple Newam this summer and tackle the first high ropes experience in West Yorkshire, in Temple. A group of mates swinging around trees 15ft high beats the usual summer plans. It’s got two different courses depending on how much you want to do and surrounding them are walks and picnic spaces- grab a Tesco’s meal deal (because we all know they are the best), pack a picnic and head up the trees. Tickets start from £30, and they have availability right through the summer.

10. International Beer Festival

Taking place on 8-11th September, this event is the perfect way to end your summer, spending a day drinking beer in the sun, enjoying street food, and listening to live music across 3 different stages. It takes place in the centre of Leeds, celebrating and promoting craft beer. A ticket includes access to the festival for 5 hours- 6 hours every Thursday- a commemorative glass to use at your future pre’s, and a program of the weekend’s events. The ticket price is still to be announced so keep an eye out!