Crazy, Stupid, Leeds: A singles’ guide to Valentine’s

For those of us who took dry January a bit too literally…

It’s that time of year again: exams are over, Fruity is full-price, and your Tinder matches have stopped replying. Gone are the social media stories of caffeinated library sessions and in their place a sea of cute TikToks and 2-for-1 cocktails.

Whether a new or a familiar experience, the issue remains of how to pass the time this Valentine’s Day. Some will bury themselves in work, others will aggressively refresh their inbox with Olivia Rodrigo on repeat. But why leave Valentine’s fun to all the couples – why not make it your own?

From the sixth wheel in his own house: here are a few ideas for what you and your mates can do, all as much fun and for the same price as any date.

And whatever you do, don’t call your ex.

For the price of Tinder Premium (£9.75/month)

Let’s face it, dating apps just don’t capture your… personality, right?

Me neither, but for the same price as a few corny chat-up lines in the hope of a dinner date, you could treat yourself to an M&S meal in, including three courses and a fine wine; the type of luxury typically reserved for middle-aged divorcees. Alternately, and my preferred option: an entire KFC bargain bucket.

If you’re not the only single-pringle in the house, why not cook a flat meal together. This might be normal in some houses, but in others (such as mine) it’s a rarity reserved for awkward interventions and stressful Christmases. In fact, why not make it a flat night in? £12 will cover your next Warzone Battle pass or a decent game on Steam. Rent a movie (£3-5.99) and grab as many dips as you can carry back from Sainsburys. Anyway, it’s probably time you stopped using their Netflix account…

For the price of an Uber to your Ex’s (£13.50 both ways)

I am including the fare of an Uber both ways, since it’s probably for the best if you come back empty-handed. Future you will be grateful.

Instead, why not take an Uber or bus somewhere away from the crowds. Kirkstall Abbey is just within walking distance of Hyde Park and Headingley, or you can catch the bus to Roundhay park (no. 8, 50 or 56 to town, then 10 or 12 onto Roundhay). There is a beautiful lake to walk around, to read a book by, and remember that there’s a world outside of university.

If you have access to a car, Yorkshire Sculpture Park is a 15-minute drive south of Leeds. Entry is £5 and you are free to roam the park wearing your most intellectual face as though you know what the artists are talking about. Turn north and you can find yourself hiking through the Dales, Malham Cove (Top Image) or Ilkley Moor. Pen-y-ghent, one of the three peaks of Yorkshire, is a six mile circular route with a beautiful view, typically taking three to four hours.

Sunset is still early at about 17:00, so keep the route short and check the weather, but these are great ways to escape the crowds.

For the price of a disappointing date (£25+)

Most of us would hesitate to commit to a £25 event, but think about it… Even with 2-for-1’s, a standard bar-date can easily rack up a £20+ bill, double that if you’re feeling chivalrous.

For the same price, you can avoid the bars and do something exciting. You could take yourself and the gang out Go Karting.

Expensive: yes. But, fun: guaranteed.

Throw in paintballing or even Go Ape if you have access to a car, a few extra quid and some band-aids.

After two solid winters indoors, I wouldn’t dare suggest an Escape Room. However, you could take the group out to Burley for laser tag, down to Kirkstall’s trampoline park or for the more spenny but cathartic axe throwing. I hear rumours that they let you hang up personal targets…

At the end of the day…

It really is just that: one day. Take away all the advertising and the social media pressure; it’s just another day. Do what makes you happy, by yourself or with whoever makes you happy.

And don’t worry, we can return to disappointing Tinder dates next week.