Breaking News

University of Leeds students are now expected to wear face coverings on campus

No more sitting in a Roger Stevens Lecture without a face covering

The University of Leeds has said it expects students and staff to wear face coverings in certain indoors spaces on campus from Tuesday 30 November.

This comes after the discovery of the Omicron variant of the virus in the UK last week.

Student Communications sent an e-mail today (30 November) detailing that students and staff are expected to wear face coverings when:

• Moving through indoor spaces like corridors, staircases and reception areas

• Moving through libraries and cafes (though not while seated, if you are able to maintain a safe distance)

• In all teaching spaces (staff do not have to wear a face covering while teaching if they can maintain a safe distance from students

• In shops, as per government guidance

The temporary precautions will be “reviewed as the situation develops and when scientists know more about the impact of the Omicron variant.”

This follows on from the Government’s announcement that states for the next three weeks:

• Face coverings are compulsory in shops and on public transport

• All international arrivals must take a Day 2 PCR test and self-isolate until they receive a negative result

• All contacts of suspected Omicron cases must self-isolate, regardless of their vaccination status. They will be contacted by NHS Test and Trace

How do you feel about these new policies? Let us know by sending us a DM on Instagram @thetab_leeds

Related articles recommended by this writer:

We tried the poshest items in the LUU Co-op

Hundreds marched through Leeds to mark the Reclaim the Night anniversary this weekend

We asked Leeds students what they had to say about the upcoming strikes