Uni of Leeds extends late penalty waiver for some students to include all coursework originally due in January

Coursework due from the 23rd to 30th January is now included in the waiver

The University of Leeds has extended its 7-day no late penalty for semester one coursework to include all assignments due in January in the School of Fine Art, History of Art and Cultural Studies.

This is an update from the original announcement, which included only assignments due between the 8th and 22nd January.

Some students received an email from their school announcing this update this morning, and more emails could go out later today, including more students.

One email from the School of Fine Art, History of Art and Cultural Studies read:

“Dear students,

“Following further discussion at University level earlier today, I am pleased to be able to tell you that the 7-day waiver of late penalties for semester one coursework due 8-22 January has been extended to cover all semester one coursework with an original deadline falling within the calendar month of January 2021.

“For those of you with a due date between 23-31 January, you are now covered by the 7-day waiver.

“As stated before, late penalties will also be waived for seven days on coursework that has already been granted an extension. After the seven days, late penalties will apply unless you have requested an extension or submitted a mitigating circumstances form for consideration.”

The original announcement from Interim Deputy Vice-Chancelllor, Peter Jimack, said this has come into place due to “the additional impact of the national lockdown that came into place in England from 6 January, on top of the existing pressures we know you [students] are facing.”

He said: “For the avoidance of doubt, this applies to coursework already set and does not apply to timed assessments that are scheduled for the examination period. The usual mechanisms for applying for extensions, or other adjustments, for mitigating circumstances will remain open to all students. You are encouraged to use these channels and we will continue to consider all such requests sympathetically.”

You can view university news about coronavirus here.