Beloved Leeds Beckett sports leader passes away

Students and staff alike will mourn his loss

Dave Jackson, founder of the Sport Development course at Leeds Beckett has sadly passed away at the age of 68 after a long battle with illness.

Students and staff alike will mourn his loss, describing the “massive imprint” he left on their lives.

Dave joined Leeds Beckett, formerly Leeds Met, in the mid 90’s following time he spent working for Leeds City Council.

He began leading the Sport and Recreation programme which he fostered and grew from its early beginnings in the mid 2000’s.

Over the course of his time at Leeds Beckett, Dave helped inspire countless students with his patience and wisdom, leading them into graduation and successful careers.

Dave quickly became known for his position in the “field weeks” at Leeds Beckett which introduced students to the Lakeland countryside. He was known for his immense love and rich knowledge of the Lakes which he shared with students.

He was also positioned as Carnegie’s International Representative in 2005 after travelling to China in 2004 to represent the university. As he took on this role, Dave handed down the reins to another member of staff, leaving in his legacy a successful and well-established course.

After retiring from his position at the university, Dave went on to pursue his third career as an outdoor instructor, remaining present in the student community and continuing to inspire those around him.

Alongside his continual student support, Dave also led many staff outings around his the Lakes he knew and loved so fondly.

Leeds Beckett Sport Development tweeted: “Rest in peace and power, Dave. We will never forget your massive contribution to all our lives x.”