Leeds is heading into Tier 3 on Monday, and here’s what it will look like for students

Sick of this shit, just wanna go to Fruity

Today it was announced that West Yorkshire, including Leeds, Bradford and Huddersfield will move into Tier 3.

Leeds City Council Leader Judith Blake announced the changes will come into effect from 12:01AM on Monday, with talks about implementing these measures lasting for over a week. A “multi-million pound support package” has been negotiated with the government for West Yorkshire.

Councillor Judith Blake said: “This is a very difficult decision for us to take and we recognise the significance of the economic impact that it will have, but the virus is at a stage in which we need to take measures.”

Leeds has seen a surge in coronavirus cases again, with care homes in Leeds reporting more COVID cases than at the start of the pandemic.

The toughest measures include:

β€’ A ban on mixing with different households at any indoor location including pubs and restaurants. To drink alcohol, you will need to purchase a “substantial meal”.

β€’ People are not allowed to meet in more than groups of six in an outdoor public space.

β€’ People are discouraged from travelling outside the Tier 3 area or entering a different Tier area, with an exception for work.

β€’ Betting shops, adult gaming centres, casinos and soft play centres must close.

β€’ Hospitality venues that do not provide substantial meals will be told to close.

β€’ Gyms and Leisure Centres will remain open, but gym classes will be stopped.

β€’ Weddings will have a limit of 15 guests, Wedding Receptions are forbidden.

β€’ Funerals are limited to 30 guests and wakes 15 guests.

β€’ You must not visit family members in a care home unless in “exceptional circumstances”.

β€’ Schools and education centres will remain open and University Students may move home and commute to campus, but must not move back and forth between the two homes.

Matt Hancock said that there is a “worrying rise in cases right across the country”

The Health Secretary said that the “worrying rise in cases” means “decisive action is needed”.

Hospital admissions have been rising fast in the county, with NHS figures revealing Yorkshire and the Humber having the fasting growing COVID-19 rates in England. Despite this, Leeds has the 12th largest proportion of coronavirus cases, with 408.0 per 100,000 people. The Deputy Chief Medical Officer told The Independent that there were 237 Covid-19 patients on wards on Tuesday, with 29 in critical care.

The hospitals have a greater occupancy than the first wave, but operations have seen cancellations and this will continue throughout the week due to pressures on beds.

The University of Leeds say the “impact on the University will be minimal”

Learning and teaching activities will only continue in person if it is “safe, practicable and academically advantageous or necessary.” The University has seen the fewest COVID-19 cases this week since recordings began, with a 34 per cent drop from the previous week.

Study spaces, libraries and computer clusters will remain open as per current arrangements, but there will be “changes” to some catering services provided on campus. Campus bars will only remain open if they operate as restaurants and serve substantial meals.

The Edge will remain open as per the current COVID secure restrictions and outdoor sport will continue as per the current arrangements.

For more COVID-19 Guidance, see the GOV.UK website.