Hyde Park Book Club have been granted £91,000 to help them stay open

They’ve received the money as part of a government scheme

Probably the closest some of us have ever come to books, other than The Library pub, Hyde Park Book Club is a staple in any Leeds Uni student’s life. With COVID on the rise again, we feared our precious haven would suffer from lack of sufficient funds – alas where would we go to fulfil our edgy Leeds cravings for hefty pints and a dose of jazzy culture?

View this post on Instagram

🚨 UPDATE 🚨 Firstly thanks to everyone who’s been in recently, the familiar faces, the new friends, the dogs, it’s been an absolute tonic to have people in – it’s why we do what we do, but cheers 🙏 As we move into freshers and autumn, we’re more excited than ever to keep bringing you food, coffees, beers and of course, hopefully, a few events (check their new Look No Hands exhibition but together by Jasmine & Sophie) 🍂 😋☕️ On top of all the changes we’ve already made, including the new outside area, after this weeks announcement we’ve got a few new things in place: – We’re still open DAILY from 10am-10pm – Please wear a MASK when not seated 😷 – We’ve got plenty of OUTDOOR seating space (w parasols for the Brit weather) 🌈 – You don’t need to book, but if you’d like to you can 📞 – working from home and need a table / to be around others? Come over – no need to buy stuff all day just to stay in – Any events we’re able to do (jazz etc) will start and finish slightly EARLIER 🎫 We want to thank all of you for visiting us recently, so whether you’re a new fresher or seasoned graduate (or you just bloody love coffee), thanks & much love ☕️ HPBC x ✌️❤️

A post shared by Hyde Park Book Club (@hydeparkbookclub) on

Earlier this week we found out that Brudenell Social Club will receive £220,429 from the Government, to enable them to host free weekly events as well as to live stream events online. It seems like the generosity is spreading, with Hyde Park Book Club announcing that they are the recipients of a £91,000 grant – which will allow them to continue to provide space for culture & community. These iconic Leeds venues are just some of the 1,300 art and culture organisations across the country due to receive a minimum of £50,000 up to a maximum of £3 million.

In a Facebook post, a spokesperson for Hyde Park Book Club said: “We’re absolutely OVERWHELMED to announce we’ve received £91,000 as part of the Cultural Recovery Fund.”

“This allows us to continue to provide space for culture & community.”

While giving thanks to Music Venue Trust, a UK registered charity which acts toward protecting, securing and improving Grassroots Music Venues.

This grants programme is part of the Government’s £1.57 billion package to protect the UK’s culture and heritage sectors from the economic impacts of Covid-19. Funds are offered in financial support for cultural organisations that were financially stable before Covid-19, but were at imminent risk of failure.

Hyde Park Book Club is a cafe by day and a music venue / arts space by night, famous for hosting some of the best creative talents – not to mention an impressive spot to take a first date.