Tab essential: 19th-25th

We pick out the best of the week’s cultural offerings

| UPDATED lara thomas tab essential

Tuesday 20 November

Give it a Go Irish Dancing, LUU The Lounge; learn, brush up on skills or become a pro!

LUU Pantomime Society fundraiser, Walkabout; cheap drinks, candy floss, popcorn and endless fun for just £3! Get down early

Matt Corby, Brudenell Social Club; Australian songwritter, singer and musician

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q5H16VgBqI

Ladies Night‘ by Her Campus; raising money for CoppaFeel (breast cancer awareness charity), beauty treatement and make-up artists and more at Bar7 opposite Halo

Kidnap Kid, Hifi; Sheffield/London based musician

Leeds Rag Comedy Night; In order to raise money for Wateraid and Candlelighters, the Fashion Show team will be hosting a comedy night!

Wednesday 21 November

Demo 2012; NUS event on the streets of London, head down and get on the bus if you want to campaign for the fairest deal for students

Latent Mutant Comedy, Pulse; stand up comedy at the union

Mad Caddies, Cockpit; Californian ska punk band

The 99%, Stage @ Leeds;  99 minutes, for 99 minutes will explore the questions
of the day through music, song and multimedia performance.

Move on Up, Hifi, north’s longest running weekly soul night!

Feedback, The Wire; Deep house and future garage

Thursday 22 November

Wizard Duelling Club; ever wanted to be Harry Potter? Yeahhhhh, even though you’re a muggle

Juan Zelada, Brudenell Social Club; singer, songwritter and acoustic guitarist!

Leeds Galore does the German Market; this is not to be missed, the German market is the height of the Christmas season for the Leeds student callender

Conservative Society cocktail night; heading to Mook then Mission, head down for all the Cameron related banter

Catacomb, Hifi; techno, house, hip hop, funk n soul, drinks £2

Fuzzy Logic, The Wire; Exactly what you would expect from a mid-week Indie night at Wire. Music to dance your little heart out to. Expect to hear Hot Chip, Best Coast, Talking Heads and the like.

Friday 23 November

Hush House presents Skudge (live) at the Garage; returning to the oily and intimate confines of The Garage for the West Yorkshire debut of Sweden’s finest export since ABBA, Vikings and the Nobel Prize – yes, that’s right, it’s Skudge!!!

Fruity American Allstars; the only place to be on a Friday night at always full of surprises, tickets are £5 so head down to the Union and have a few at the Terrace before hand

Funk Soul Nation, Hifi; weekly night for the best boogie, the name says it all

Saturday 24 November

CREATURES OF THE NIGHT PRESENTS: Tony Scott’s The Hunger, The Hyde Park Picture House– Not exactly your average horror, the late director’s film stars David Bowie as the lover of a 2000-year old Egyptian vampire called Miriam. Yeah, you read that right. If it’s not worth seeing only for that scene between Catherine Deneuve and Susan Sarandon, then see it because it’s edgy. We all know Leeds kids love edgy.

Boogaloo, Hifi; soul, ska, boogaloo… you name it!

Saturday Comedy Sessions, Hifi; three comedians- Andre Vincent, Carl Donnely, Dave Twentyman (followed by Boogaloo– blues, boogalo, ska and soul)

Blue Rinse Kilo Sale, The Wire; 1kg= £15 (followed by Straight Up likes of Hot Chip, Coves and The Horrors heading down for DJ sets or live performances)

Sunday 25 November

Barbara, The Hyde Park Picture House, award-winning story of a doctor in 1980’s East Germany who is banished to a small country hospital, what Barbara lacks in star-power it makes up for in its tense plot and in Nina Hoss’ breath-taking performance. Nominated for a Best Foreign-Language Oscar at the 85th Academy Awards, Barbara is truly a must-see.