The best places to have a nap at King’s

Need a quick power nap to recharge before afternoon lectures? Catch a quick snooze in one of these top napping locations on campus

Desperately needing a nap on campus – but where? It’s a dilemma students encounter at least once a week.

Heavy Walkabout session, choosing the wrong time to start breaking bad, or dead from deadlines, sitting through lectures in a semi-vegetative state is never the way to go. This is why through thorough research, meticulous study, and ground breaking exploratory skills, we have highlighted the nine best places to have nap at King’s.

Next time you’re starting to look like Eeyore, and yawning enough to be miming an opera, save some money on that coffee and utilise any of these painstakingly discovered spots.

Floor G in the Norfolk Building

Looking for privacy? This is the spot for you. Most students don’t even know this place exists, so you’ll be safe from judgemental stares. Tucked away in the maze next to the Macadam building, it’s perfect for the more sensitive nappers. Comes with its own soft cushions, and the macadam building with all its comforts is only two minutes away!

Privacy – 4/5 (variable)

Humiliation Factor – 1/5 (practically made for sleeping!)

Facilities – 4/5 

Overall Score – 4/5 – So private no one would ever hear you scream..

Basement – King’s Building

Here we happened to disturb an enlightened napper in his natural habitat. What the bench lacks in comfort, it makes up for in width – perfect for a refreshing spooning session. The minimalistic surroundings give a calming sensation, although at times it can be busy. Located at the right time it’s the perfect napping spot for the more post-modern amongst the sleep deprived.

The lifts to the rest of the building are nearby and there are toilets just a few metres away!

Privacy – 2/5

Humiliation Factor – 3/5 (Can be a bit awkward at busy times)

Facilities – 5/5 

Overall Score – 3/5 – ‘Hard wood, yet girthy’

The Terrace Balcony – Macadam building

After stumbling out yet another stuffy lecture room, sometimes there’s nothing like having a bit of fresh air. With a perfect view of London and flowers to keep you company you might almost be able to ignore the dozens of perplexed faces staring at you from the cafeteria. A tactical yawn or stretch should prevent paramedics being called.

Despite exposure to the cold, rain and smokers, you could always dry off with a hot chocolate just next door.

Privacy – 0/5

Humiliation Factor – 5/5 (for the exhibitionists)

Facilities – 5/5 

Overall Score – 2/5 – ‘Scenic’

King’s Building – Basement – amongst the labs

Perhaps the dodgiest napping spot on the list. Situated amongst abandoned labs, the only sound you’ll hear is your own breath. Whilst apparently a nappers paradise, the exposed and disturbing surroundings could make you feel insecure. On the bright side the high ceilings and empty corridors should amplify your screams sufficiently.

Facilities involve a bin and large storage rooms filled with corrosive chemicals.

Privacy – 5/5

Humiliation Factor – 0/5 (so lonely)

Facilities – 1/5 

Overall Score – 3/5 – ‘Here’s Johnny!’

War studies department – 7th floor King’s building

Another brilliant napping spot, with comfortable wooden benches to protect you from the elements. The cutting edge design should shield you from prying eyes whilst you rejuvenate for another bout of sleeping through your lectures.

The paintings should inspire your dreams, and the nearby anatomy museum, your nightmares.

Often very quiet and just opposite the lifts to the rest of the building

Privacy – 2/5

Humiliation Factor – 4/5 (Sleeping should prevent eye contact)

Facilities – 3/5 

Overall Score – 3/5 – ‘for the dreamers’

Foyer Bannisters – Ground floor – King’s building

For the classier exhibitionists, the inspiring architecture coupled with the comforting stone, provides the ideal dream cocoon. Perfect for those who can’t sleep without someone breathing down their neck and the relaxing sound of people sprinting up the stairs.

Excellent access to all campus facilities, although be prepared to have your nap disturbed by staff or the stone floor hurtling towards you.

Privacy – 0/5

Humiliation Factor – 5/5

Facilities – 5/5 

Overall Score – 2/5 – ‘ballsy’

Any toilet cubicles

Perhaps not the most obvious or comfortable choice, but its’ merits provide complete privacy and flexibility in location. Here two experienced king’s nappers demonstrated their daily routine which keeps them rested and glowing.

Clothes pegs are advisory in case you’re forced to be neighbours with a rugby player after a beer and curry night.

Privacy – 5/5

Humiliation Factor – 0/5 (No one will ever know)

Facilities – 5/5 

Overall Score – 4/5 – ‘A Game of Thrones’

The Lobby – Strand Ground floor

Arrived early for lectures? Why waste time looking for a spot for a quick pre-lecture nap when you have one right at the entrance. Exposed yet original, the merits involve the warm bodies of preoccupied students ensuring a perfect temperature for sleep. Consent is advisory.
The publicity means this isn’t for the shy, however the constant pace of movement means no one will have time to be mesmerised by your inspiring ingenuity for long.

Privacy – 0/5

Humiliation Factor – 5/5 (Just keep walking)

Facilities – 5/5 

Overall Score – 4/5 – ‘Desperate times, desperate measures’

S-3.01

Saving the best for last, room –S-3.01 was discovered in 2013 by brave Strand explorers and pioneers and noted for its qualities of not yet hosting classes. Here at the Tab we’re proud to share with you the secrets of the trade – if you want the perfect place to nap, this is the room. No windows, no movement, and a black board equipped with chalk so you can write down your feelings.

If there ever was a place made by God for King’s students to sleep, it was this room. Sleep in it, draw in it, form Dumbledore’s army in it – its multipurpose.

Bring a mattress, bring a blanket, bring a homeless man, and enjoy. It’s on us.

Privacy – 5/5

Humiliation Factor – 0/5 (As long as you’re just sleeping..)

Facilities – 4/5 

Overall Score – 4.5/5 – ‘Just ruined my favourite spot’*

*or have I? 9 is an odd number…