Image may contain: Pedestrian, Police Car, Shoe, Footwear, Clothing, Apparel, Automobile, Car, Transportation, Truck, Vehicle, Human, Person
Breaking News

Breaking: Glasgow main campus evacuated after suspicious package found

Police are on site and the evacuation is a precautionary measure

A number of buildings on campus have been evacuated due to a suspicious package.

Update: A controlled explosion has now been carried out after a suspect package was found in the University of Glasgow mailroom.

Areas of the university have been cordoned off and students were emailed by teaching staff being told not to come to campus if they had lectures.

We reported live from the scene today in Glasgow, check it out on our Instagram.

The University of Glasgow have released a statement saying the following buildings have been evacuated and closed: Boyd Orr Building, Mailroom, the OTC (Officer Training Corps) building next to it, Wolfson Medical Building, Bower Building, Isabella Elder Building, James McCune Smith Learning Hub site and the Joseph Black Building.

Image may contain: Automobile, Car, Tarmac, Asphalt, Campus, Plant, Grass, Bus, Transportation, Vehicle, Human, Person

The police and fire service are on the scene at Library Hill

All classes set to take place this afternoon have now been cancelled in the following buildings: Wolfson Medical Building, Bower Building, Isabella Elder Building, Boyd Orr Building, Joseph Black Building, Kelvin Building and University Gardens buildings. The email says the Mailroom and OTC buildings have also been evacuated and University Avenue and University Gardens have been closed temporarily on the advice of Police Scotland as a precautionary measure.

Image may contain: Document, Page, Text

One student, Amy, tweeted how a guy came running into the med school shouting that they needed to get out as a suspicious package had been found.

Another student told The Glasgow Tab she was on Byres Road, when loads of police cars and fire engines pulled up and said there's been an incident and everyone needs to evacuate, emails from lecturers were then apparently sent out telling students not to come in. The student then says the "bomb squad" arrived.

Image may contain: Menu, Page, Document, Text

One of the emails that has been sent out to Glasgow students

A number of students in the area are claiming on Twitter and Snapchat that the suspicious package is a bomb threat. However, this has not been confirmed, The University of Glasgow have just said a suspicious package has been found.

Image may contain: Light, Traffic Light, Truck, Police Car, Machine, Wheel, Car, Transportation, Vehicle, Automobile, Person, Human

Glasgow's rector Aamer Anwar tweeted an update, saying: "Glad to see everyone is safe and our emergency services were on the scene immediately – hopefully our students and staff can return back soon."

A number of explosive devices were found yesterday in London, at Waterloo train station, Heathrow airport and London City airport. However, as ofyet there is also no indication these incidents are connected.

We will bring you more on this story as we get it. If you have any info or you are currently inside a university building on lockdown please get in touch by messaging our Facebook page.

Featured image credit: Findlay via Twitter